Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Development (Don't let Rainmeter die!)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Development (Don't let Rainmeter die!)
Development (Don't let Rainmeter die!) 5 Years, 6 Months ago  
Hello. I'm the developer of Enigma, a Rainmeter skin which has gained a fair bit of popularity since being featured on Lifehacker.

I mention this by way of demonstrating that there is a huge demand for Rainmeter out there - maybe even enough to rival Rainlendar. Even though it's been years since the last update, Rainmeter is still a wonderful platform for desktop customization and I expect to continue using it for quite a while yet. However, both users and developers would hugely appreciate an update to the program.

I decided to post this request openly to allow others to express their support for Rainmeter's future. Or other opinions, as the case may be.

I know you've said that you don't have the time for the project. If that's still the case, then would you consider allowing another developer to take the reigns? (I assume you'd retain ownership and such; the legalities are not a big deal to the rest of us as long as the app remains freeware.) If you're interested, I'm sure I could come up with a list of desired improvements as well.

If not, then, well, the least I can do is thank you for creating my undisputed platform-of-choice.

Kaelri
Kaelri
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Development (Don't let Rainmeter die!) 5 Years, 6 Months ago  
Hi,
I am also Rainmeter lover and one of skin maker =)
I mention this by way of demonstrating that there is a huge demand for Rainmeter out there - maybe even enough to rival Rainlendar.
It is right surely :-O
Google Trends: Rainmeter and more...

Rainmeter is a old style customize tool. However, a setup is so simple and easy.
Compared with other applications, I think that this is the forte of Rainmeter.

I as well as him am wishing resumption of development eagerly.

I believe Rainmeter will never die. : |
kenz0
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2009/02/09 03:40 By kenz0.

Completely agreed! I've made different skins myself and love Rainmeter! I would like the continuing of Rainmeter also!
Kebas.
Kebas
Never to old to learn...
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Rainlendar still takes most of my free time so I don't have much time for other projects. The best thing probably would be if someone else continued the Rainmeter development (it's licensed under GPL so it doesn't even require my permission).

Anyway, while we are waiting for volunteers I moved the project to Google Code and changed the www.rainmeter.net to point to there too. Feel free to add the feature requests and bug reports to the issue database. If there is something that might interest me or something that people really really want I might be able to spend few days improving Rainmeter as well.
Rainy
graph

I'm sorry that there is no time of your development of Rainmeter But I think that it is glad that the project of Rainmeter newly started up

Thanks
kenz0
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Both of you in the same place? Ace.

Having seen Kaelri's amazing Enigma configs on Lifehacker, I got looking at Rainmeter. Although I have since downloaded other configs to learn the syntax for various things I want to do, I'm sure I'm not alone in having a new Rainmeter setup that looks...let's say enigmatic.

Rainy - amazing app you've made here. It's so much more useful than clunky Vista/7 "gadgets", it's actually alarming.

Really pleased to see that some steps are being taken to update the app, I'll be following with interest. In the meantime, could anyone point me to any sort of Rainmeter community or resource?

Let me explain: I downloaded Enigma and I read the Rainmeter manual. Unfortunately I'm not really much of a programmer, so although I understood that Rainmeter could do other things to just what Enigma does, even with the help of the manual I couldn't get from one to the other. My solution in the end was to yomp around Deviant Art and some other places, grab Rainmeter skins that looked like they might do what I wanted to do, and cannibalise them. You'd probably weep if you could see my .ini files, they're a mess.

If there's a community out there somewhere so that I could discuss with people cleverer at this sort of thing than I am, that would be really helpful.

EDIT: Sorry, I realise that the obvious answer might be "you're on the only one we know of". Um...yeah, I'm not always that bright.
Dave_W
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2009/02/13 18:00 By Dave_W.Reason: Realised I might be being a bit stupid...

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop