Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Incorrect user name displayed on gadget
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Incorrect user name displayed on gadget
Incorrect user name displayed on gadget 5 Years, 1 Month ago  
I have recently come across Rainmeter and proceeded to download the BlackGlass skin. The system gadget displays my user-name as "Compaq_Administrator." However, there are no other accounts on the computer besides mine, which is not named "Compaq_Administrator." I went to Control Panel-> User Accounts and made sure that it is not this, but even after a restart "Compaq_Administrator" remains. So if there's any insight on how to go about changing the user-name that the gadget displays to the proper one, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
rojassan
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/02/24 04:15 By rojassan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Incorrect user name displayed on gadget 5 Years, 1 Month ago  
The user name is read from the operating system with GetUserName which should return your logon name (i.e. what was entered as your name when you logged into Windows).
Rainy
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

I understand all that, except to the best of my knowledge, I have changed the name of who I "login" as. Yet, it still comes up as Compaq_Administrator.
rojassan
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

This is a fact of life in windows... you cannot really change a user name.

when you rename an account, it makes nice, and pretends to change it, but the change is only skin deep...

you authenticate as your new name, and your new name is plastered in the start menu, but your account still knows you as your original name.

open my computer/documents and settings ... look for your "new" name... you won't find it! all your documents are stored under the original name.

It's an unfortunate necessity, as you don't know what programs identify you by user name, and might break if that changed, but it is very annoying...

the only solution I know of is to copy your user folder and give it a temp name, then create a new account with your "new" name, then copy the backup over the new folder and delete the old account... however, you may lose data doing this... I do not guarantee perfect success.
gschoppe
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

also, in this case, if you're the only account using the skin, just edit it to use a set string, rather than fetching your account name
gschoppe
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop