I have been using Rainlendar 0.22 since it came out. I really enjoyed it and appreciated how it simplified and organized by days. I found about version 2.2 today and become excited about the new features it may hold. Perhaps I expected too much. Here are some of the problems I've encountered.
1. The learning curve:
Version 0.22 was quite easy to learn. I learned it quite well within minutes. Version 2.2 just takes way too long to adapt to. Too many features, lack of sufficient organization, and lack of customization than version 0.22.
2. Menus and access to Options:
There are only 2 ways to access the options - which tries to control every aspect of Rainlendar with a poor job. When right clickling on the Rainlendar to access the menues, it takes correct precision to get it. Double clicking to edit events can be a workout too.
3. Locking windows in place:
I liked being able to lock the positions of individual windows by simple right cliking on them like in 0.22. I hate going into the options and having to press OK.
4. Pressing OK for every single change in options!
This is very very very very annoying! I would like to see at least an "Apply" button, so we can see how our changes appear without closing the options dialog box.
5. Lack of customization:
I had to go to the Help file to find out how to apply various icons. But being version 2.2, I would think that they'd find some simpler way for users to customize rather than to edit the actual .xml file.
6. Options -> Skins -> Settings
This feature is quite impressive, I admit. But I wish the author could have given more control to the user. (e.g. deciding how many days should the Events List show) Also, this is a great place to put an "Apply" button so we can see our changes WITHOUT closing the options dialog box!
Try to scale your Digiclock to 120%. What a mess!
8. System Resources
What in the world? Rainlendar hogs up 12.5Megs of system memory - more than MS Word and my firewall...
WHAT I LIKE SO FAR
1. The pop-up bubbles that come out when you hover over an event or to-do item.
2. The different calendar is clever, though it can be cleaned up a bit.
3. Easy to edit tables to change parameters like in Options -> Advanced
WHAT I LIKE TO SEE
1. "Apply" button to allow us to see our changes w/out having to close options box.
2. Simpler way to change font size, type, and color, as well as simpler way to apply icons to categories and event types.
3. Tutorial to produce our own skins and parameters.
Version 0.22: 3.5/5
Version 2.2: 3/5
<br><br>Post edited by: engineer, at: 2007/01/08 00:59