Error 403 from Google Calendar? Upgrade to the new Google Calendar support. See here for details. close
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Alarm Window Overwriting Active Window
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Alarm Window Overwriting Active Window
Alarm Window Overwriting Active Window 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
Has the annoying bug of the Alarm windows overwriting the active window been fixed in any of the Betas?
scscomp
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Alarm Window Overwriting Active Window 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
Can you describe to problem some more? I'm not sure what you are referring to...
Rainy
graph

Well, it's the same problem that has been reported many, many times. Even again, it is reported just a few posts down from this one, with no responses, I might add.

While working in any window on the desktop, if the active window overlays the the Alarm window on the desktop, the Alarm windows will, in a seemingly random fashion, paint over the active window. The Alarm window paints at the same coordinates in the active window that it normally displays on the Desktop. Yes, I have the current stable build (129). Yes, I have reset all settings to defaults. Yes, I have cleared the check box, "Alarm window stays on top" in Advanced options. I am running the 32 bit version of Rainlendar2 on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 with all current updates.

One of the posts describing the problem reported, the Alarm repaints when the countdown clock to the alarmed event reaches one minute before each hour before the event start time.

I assume that, since users have been complaining about the problem for so long and, since it has never been addressed, this behavior is considered to be a "feature". If so, it seems the time to, so rudely, interrupt the user would not be one minute before each and every hour but, perhaps, only one minute before the start time. Better yet, give the user the option of disabling these hourly reminders.
scscomp
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Thanks for the explanation. This took a while to reproduce but I think I know what is causing it. When the window is redrawn Rainlendar also sets its z-order which makes Windows to bring it to front. The weird thing is that this does not happen always. For example I wasn't able to get the alarm window to behave this way if the tray tooltip was visible. Anyway, I can change the implementation so that the z-order is not set if the alarm window is not set as topmost window. That should fix the issue. In the mean time you can uncheck the Options->Advanced->"Show due to the event" which disables the alarm window redraws.
Rainy
graph

I didn't try the "show due to event" check box (didn't know what it was). Something you may want to look at. I noticed that, if I check the option to "Lock Windows in Place" and move the Mouse Over slider to 90%, it works as, what I believe to be, designed. That is, when the event alarm triggers due to the event start time, it does overwrite the active window. It does not overwrite the active window at any other time however. Apparently, the code that paints the Alarm window travels through this code before and one of these objects sets the Z-order.
scscomp
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop