Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Network abilities
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Network abilities
Network abilities 7 Years, 11 Months ago  
Hi,

is it possible to do the following with Rainlendar Pro:

- 2-10 users in local network
- all are automatically viewing the dates of the others (every time up-to-date)
- adding private dates others can't view (optional)

regards<br><br>Post edited by: mgutt, at: 2006/10/30 06:38
mgutt
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Network abilities 7 Years, 11 Months ago  
The system doesn't prevent that kind of usage in any way but I have tested it only with a single user. At least there is a possibility that some update might be overwritten if two users make changes to the same calendar at the same time.

You can get the pro version and try how things work in it. The Pro version is fully functional without the license too except that you'll get &quot;unregistered&quot; texts in the events.
Rainy
graph

1. How often do you read the calendar data? I think only one time after a new data is added or?

2. How do you open the file to read? In php it is no problem to lock the file as long as someone writes to it. Maybe there is something similar for your idea.

I'm using the ftp-way. I've added a ftp-login for rainlendar and hope it won't overwrite anything.

But if its deleting the things.. arghh.. i don't want to think about this.

3. How can i copy the complete data to the ftp calendar?

4. For what is the &quot;private&quot; option needed if i add an event?

5. It would be nice to select one calendar data as default or simply change the order.

regards
mgutt
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

mgutt wrote:
1. How often do you read the calendar data? I think only one time after a new data is added or?
The polling frequency can be defined in the options dialog.

2. How do you open the file to read? In php it is no problem to lock the file as long as someone writes to it. Maybe there is something similar for your idea.
WebDAV protocol supports locking but at least at the moment Rainlendar doesn't use it. It is planned for future releases though.

I'm using the ftp-way. I've added a ftp-login for rainlendar and hope it won't overwrite anything.
FTP is probably the worst choice in multiuser environment. In general that is the last option to use if you cannot get anything else to work. My suggestion is to use the WebDAV (or well it's basically just http in Rainlendar) protocol instead.

The way things work in the network plugin is that when you add a new event to a shared calendar the latest calendar file is downloaded from the network server and the new event is added/merged to it. Then the file is send back to the server. If during this time some other client updates the file in the server the changes will be lost when your client uploads the file back to the server.

So, until the locking is implemented the network shared calendars are mainly meant for a single user only.

3. How can i copy the complete data to the ftp calendar?
You can export the events to a file and import them back to the shared calendar.

4. For what is the &quot;private&quot; option needed if i add an event?
You need to put the private events into a separate calendar (I.e. create a new calendar in Rainlendar's options and add the private events to there instead of the shared calendar).

5. It would be nice to select one calendar data as default or simply change the order.
I don't know what you mean by this.
Rainy
graph

Rainy wrote:
FTP is probably the worst choice in multiuser environment. In general that is the last option to use if you cannot get anything else to work. My suggestion is to use the WebDAV (or well it's basically just http in Rainlendar) protocol instead.

So changing ftp://domain.com to domain.com solves it or what? For http I could add a new folder and inside the new folder I add a .htaccess with login protection. Is that the thing you need?

You need to put the private events into a separate calendar (I.e. create a new calendar in Rainlendar's options and add the private events to there instead of the shared calendar).
ok, I found this explanation in the help file: &quot;The event can be marked also as private. This doesn't have any functionality in Rainlendar at the moment but it might be useful if you export the events to some other calendar.&quot;

I don't know what you mean by this.
If you add a new event the calendar &quot;Default&quot; is selected first. But if I want an other as THE default one I can't find the option to do that.
mgutt
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

ftp is quite slow, there is no way to do any proper locking and I have my doubts if it will handle simultaneous reads and writes correctly (though I could be wrong about that).
Rainy
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop