Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

problem in ubuntu or just a synch issue?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: problem in ubuntu or just a synch issue?
problem in ubuntu or just a synch issue? 7 Years, 7 Months ago  
i just switched to ubuntu 6.06, though I still use rainlendar on my windows partition as well as at work. With the older version, I could point rainlendar to read/write from an .ics file I put on my flash drive to synch data between the locations.
With the new version, and new o/s(I'm not sure it's installed properly since it shows no icons anywhere & I'm missing my beloved date in the tray), I'm having trouble figuring out how to do the same (before there was a plugins page in the configuration window where I used the iCal plugin to do this).
I don't need really to upload to a server (i dont want to go through that, and there's really no need to put all my info online - this is why I like desktop cal's), I just want to redo my previous setup...
Any suggestions?
Thanks...
PS-You know, I even searched and tried other calendaring options(*gasp* blasphemy!), but none of them compared to rainlendar...
natasha
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:problem in ubuntu or just a synch issue? 7 Years, 7 Months ago  
Have you tried just changing the location of the ics file to the memory card? In Options->Calendars select the calendar from the list and change the file name.
Rainy
graph

Yes! That was it. For some reason I didnt realize that option.
I assume that now it will write to both .ics files (the default and the flash drive) ?
As for the other question, which is probly an ubuntu issue - how do I get rainlendar to show the date icon in my tray? Or even in my applications menu? This didn't happen automatically, and I don't know enough about ubuntu to make it happen..
Any ideas?
Thanks so much!
natasha
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

The events are written only to the calendars that are selected when you create/modify the event. If you want to have the same events in your local drive and in the flash drive you need to create two calendars (in Options->Calendars) and select them both in the event dialog when you create a new event.

You can enable the tray icon from Options->Advanced->ShowTrayIcon.

There is no Linux installer so Rainlendar isn't added to the Application menu. I don't know it either how it should be done and I would assume it is done differently depending what desktop you have (KDE, Gnome). This is my first real Linux application so most of this stuff is new to me too
Rainy
graph

I didn't read the stuff before, but you should have two calendars to choose from, one will point to the default and the other the flash drive. To write to both you must select both for the event.

I never tried to get the icon to work in Linux.
he_the_great
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Nascent hethegreat

Great - that tweak worked perfectly. I now have the date in my toolbar.
I had to manually add Rainlendar to the startup programs for it to work through System -> Preferences -> Sessions --> Startup Programs. That worked.
But I'm still trying to find where Ubuntu actually installed the files in order to tweak the skin and add my previous one (I had altered it a lot, can't download it).
When I find that & figure out how to add it to the menu, I'll post again just in case this helps other Ubuntu users. I have the Gnome interface...
Thanks!
natasha
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop