Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

[Solved] Write Error! Unable to make a temporary c
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: [Solved] Write Error! Unable to make a temporary c
[Solved] Write Error! Unable to make a temporary c 3 Years, 6 Months ago  
When trying to add/edit events/todos, I was getting the following error: "Write Error! Unable to open file "" for writing." After finding a post on this error in this forum and some subsequent fiddling (both with the options and with setting permissions), I hoped I had fixed the problem.

But now, I'm getting the error "Write Error! Unable to make a temporary copy of the file".

Someone in another thread had the same error, and in this post (www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=42&func=view&catid=3&id=12318&limit=6&limitstart=6#12777) said they managed to figure it out and fix it.
biltong wrote:
It's been resolved! (Thanks for the pointer, Rainy.)

Turns out it was permissions after all. The way the partition was mounted in /etc/fstab wasn't allowing Rainlendar to write to the partition. After assistance from Google and the nice people on the interwebs, I found a way to mount the partition with the correct permissions, and now all is happy in the world!

Thank you.

Well, I've been googling all over the place, and I must not be using the right search terms or something because I can not figure out how to give Rainlendar permission to write to the partition. Not sure if this would help troubleshoot, but I'm in linux (Ubuntu 10.4).

Anyway, I'm hoping this question is not outside the scope of this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
AshToTheLeigh
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2010/10/10 16:50 By AshToTheLeigh.Reason: (Marking as solved)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Write Error! Unable to make a temporary copy of th 3 Years, 6 Months ago  
Rainlendar shouldn't require any special permissions so if you are able to create new files on the partition so should it (assuming Rainlendar is running as the same user as you are). Make also sure that there are no *-bak files in the target folder since they can prevent Rainlendar from creating the temporary backup file when it writes the events file.
Rainy
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

Thanks for the reply! There are no -bak files in the target folder. So my only other question would be--how do I find out if Rainlendar is running as the same user I am?

ETA: Something just occurred to me. I couldn't just drag and drop the .ics files to move them to the target folder--I had to use sudo in the terminal. Sooo does that mean there are some more permissions I need to change? I wish I knew how to make it so that sudo is never needed to move/edit files.
AshToTheLeigh
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/10/10 11:46 By AshToTheLeigh.

You would have to be able to copy a file to the target folder without using sudo or otherwise normal applications won't be able to write to it. You could try to ask e.g. from the Ubuntu forums or Ask Ubuntu what's the proper way to mount the partition.
Rainy
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

Thank you! I found someone on the Ubuntu forum who'd had the same problem with another app being able to change files, and I must've installed the calendars while in root, as their solution to change the owner of the directory worked. I don't know if that's the same as mounting a partition or not (I'm really new to most of the technical sides of computer use), but I'm just happy I can finally use the app properly!!

Thanks for your help
AshToTheLeigh
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:[Solved] Write Error! Unable to make a temporary c 1 Year, 5 Months ago  
Hey,
I am also facing the same error.
Could you please tell me what you have done so that I can also start writing to Rainlendar in Ubuntu ?
elang
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop