Error 403 from Google Calendar? Upgrade to the new Google Calendar support. See here for details. close
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Weather Location
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Weather Location
Weather Location 3 Years, 11 Months ago  
Hi everyone,
so I have just discovered and added a "Weather" element from the Chromo Skin.
As you can see from the attached image, it works perfectly for Manchester GBR, but I need to change the location to Verwood GBR.
The Weather location line is : weather.msn.com/RSS.aspx?wealocations=wc:UKXX0092%26weadegreetype=C
Can someone please explain how I can find the command line to substitute it with to display Verwood and other locations.
Many thanks
David
Gables
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2011/01/04 00:41 By Gables.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Weather Location 3 Years, 11 Months ago  
Image.
Gables
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/01/04 00:49 By Gables.

anoob
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Location: TaiChung, Taiwan, R.O.C. Birthday: 02/12
I couldn't speak English! This skin released to Customize.org(Do you want it? Click Picture) Please contact me if interested: jhg5702@gmail.com

Many many thanx... worked correctly instantly... perfect
David
Gables
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

It's excellent to see that an individualized answer was provided for the user who asked it. However, it didn't help anyone else with the same question. Sorry, I've been trying to get my particular link for Dayton ohio for over an hour. I followed the instructions in this entry:

Weather displays current conditions and the forecast for the given location. To change the location go to weather.msn.com, find your town and click on the rss-feed icon in the weather page and copy the url to the weather location field in the skin's settings.

I can follow the steps up to the point where it says to click on the RSS-FEED icon... which does not appear to exist anywhere on the page. I'm pretty smart with stuff like this, but I've tried several modifications, and several different websites. sometimes I can get as far as getting it to display the word Dayton. IN one instance I was able to get it to display a city IN MY COUNTRY at least... but hundreds of miles away from me. haha New York, NY and Dayton OH can have very different weather. the places where I was able to get code that at least gave the correct location but provided almost no information was actually at accuweather, and not MSN weather, but no other information was displayed. Not even the temperature. Bleh...

If someone supplies me the correct code, that's fine, and I'll be very grateful, but could you also please explain how you got it so that other people can be assisted also?

Thanks in advance.
Ishte
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

PS, after another hour of research, I did find out a sort of way to make it work, but it's not something that I would expect a lay person to figure out easily.

1) I deduced from the original code (weather.msn.com/RSS.aspx?wealocations=wc:UKXX0092%26weadegreetype=C) that the location information was included in the UKXX0092 part. All else is unchanged (unless you want to convert from Centigrade to Fahrenheit in which case obviously you change that final C to an F.)

2) The reason I figured this out was that I found another entry that showed NYC as the same code (weather.msn.com/RSS.aspx?wealocations=wc:USNY0996%26weadegreetype=F) Well that got me New York code of USNY0996 and that works.

3) Having sort of worked out how the code for the URL worked, I input that code and then tried changing the USNY part to USOH (for US Ohio) and 0001 to see what that city would be. It worked, and was something like Aberdeen Ohio, so I tried a higher number, and got higher in the alphabet. With that bit of intelligence, I worked my way back and forth until I found Dayton at USOH0245. Final Solution:
(weather.msn.com/RSS.aspx?wealocations=wc:USOH0245%26weadegreetype=F)

(added note: USOH0246 also works, the difference being whether you want Cox international Airport (USOH0245) listings or Wright Patterson Airforce Base (USOH0246) It just depends on where you are in Dayton as to which would be best.)

This was a very time consuming method, but none of the other methods I had read about seemed to be working for me. Each time, when the instructions said the mysterious code would be revealed, I ended up either redirected to something else, or got a completely different feed url that did not work.

Anyway, while my problem is solved just as that is of the OP, I hope someone can provide some insight into a better solution than this.

Thanks again
Ishte
Ishte
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/01/16 11:55 By Ishte.Reason: clarification and adding information

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop