Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Alarm jumps always on top of other windows
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Alarm jumps always on top of other windows
Alarm jumps always on top of other windows 3 Years, 3 Months ago  
I use Rainlendar since several months and I am very happy. I've started customizing it only recently, and I have discovered its real power! It's really a wonderful application.

But there is one thing that drives me crazy. I have alarms with most of my events and todo items, and the alarm is shown when it should. Fine. But I don't like the fact that is is always on top, so I've unticked the "Keep alarm always on top" advanced option. That works fine: the alarm pops up on top of the other windows when it is triggered, but I can now bring any window in front of the alarm window, and leave the alarm window on my desktop for as long as I wish.

But, after one minute or so, the alarm is usually placed again on top of the current window. I wonder why, and I would like to disable that "feature". I can of course bring the window I use on top of the alarm by clicking its title bar, but it is a real pain to have to do it every minute!

I wrote "usually" above, because sometimes the alarm stays kindly below the other windows. I have not been able to understand why sometimes it comes on top every minutes, and why sometimes it stay below the other windows. It seems that the behaviour depends of what I did to bring it on bottom.

Someone can explain how to disable that bizarre and exasperating behaviour (by modifying some files or settings) or what I need to do exactly to bring definitively the alarm window below the other windows?

I use the default Shadow4 skin (with some minor modifications) and the latest version of Rainlendar (v2.8.1 b103 64 bit) under Win7 X64 SP1. I have tried to modify the alarm skin and/or its script, but I don't see anything that can explain that behaviour, and the alarm is not handled by a script.

Thanks in advance for any help!
r0lZ
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Alarm jumps always on top of other windows 3 Years, 3 Months ago  
I have finally understood how it is possible to reproduce the problem and how you can temporarily force the alarm to stay on bottom. Here is how to reproduce the bug.

Of course, you must untick the advanced option "Keep alarm always on top".

Create an event (or task) so that it will trigger an alarm as soon as possible, and close the dialogue. Wait. When the alarm is displayed on screen, open any window (I use Explorer) and place it partly over the alarm so that you can still see the "overdue" message and the calendar. Wait. When the message will be refreshed to show that the task is overdue since one minute, the alarm window will jump on top of the Explorer window. Bug! You can click the Explorer title bar to bring it on top, but the next minute, the alarm will jump on top again.

Now, to force the alarm to stay on bottom, just left-click the calendar (not the alarm!). Nothing happens, but the alarm window will stay forever below the Explorer window.

Unfortunately, as soon as you open some dialogues (such as the manager window), or when a new alarm is triggered, the bug happens again. You can click the calendar again to solve it temporarily.

So, I'm now sure that that strange behaviour is caused by a bug. When some windows are activated (for example the alarm window itself, or the manager), the bug happens, as long as another window (the calendar) is not activated. I've tried to reproduce the "solution" explained above by clicking on the Todo or Event list windows, but that doesn't seem to work (although I'm not totally sure).

That means that the calendar window MUST be on the desktop, and that you have to click it when an alarm has been triggered, or you will have the alarm jumping on top every minute.

I've tried also the X32 version, but it has the same bug. I have used that version without modifying anything, except unticking the "on top" option and creating one simple event to test the problem. So, I'm now also sure that the bug doesn't depend of my configuration or skin changes.

Any chance to have that bug fixed in the next version?

(I forgot to write that I use Rainlendar in portable mode, if that makes a difference.)
r0lZ
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/08/01 08:51 By r0lZ.

Re:Alarm jumps always on top of other windows 3 Years, 3 Months ago  
Just tested with the latest beta (v2.9.b106-64bit) but the problem persists.

With the beta, I have also noticed a strange problem with the focus. The active Window suddenly looses the focus when an alarm is beneath it. The alarm window does not jump on top, but it steals the focus anyway! I will try to find a way to reproduce exactly the problem...

BTW, in the beta, I like the new possibility to define several alarms for the same event. That's great!
r0lZ
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Alarm jumps always on top of other windows 3 Years, 2 Months ago  
Try the latest beta build (b110). There was a problem related to tooltips which caused the windows to pop to front when they were updated. If I remember correctly the issue was fixed in b108.
Rainy
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

Thanks! Indeed, it seems that the bug is fixed in b110. Great!

BTW, sorry, I haven't noticed the second page of the Beta Announcements thread, so I tested with the last beta of the first page, b106!
r0lZ
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

No, sorry, I was wrong! The bug is NOT fixed in b110.

I hope it will be fixed in the final version!
r0lZ
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop