Error 403 from Google Calendar? Upgrade to the new Google Calendar support. See here for details. close
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Global vs Window variables...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Global vs Window variables...
Global vs Window variables... 2 Years, 7 Months ago  
I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place, I'm just not sure where it really goes. Feel free to move it if need be.

Anyway, I'm wondering when I create some variables they automatically become Global variables and others remain Window variables?

Is there a way I can set the variable type myself rather than letting the program do it?

Thanks for any and all help.
Mirage
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Global vs Window variables... 2 Years, 7 Months ago  
The variable type depends on if you define the window for it or not. If the variable is set to a specific window it is shown only for it. If the window is not defined the variable will be global.
Rainy
graph

Re:Global vs Window variables... 2 Years, 7 Months ago  
Ah, that makes sense now that I look at it more closely. Now my problem is, when I change the code below, by simply adding the "window=" to the Skin.xml file as shown below:

Skin.xml
<variable name="Digital_Clock_fontsize" default="60" window="Digital Clock" description="Set the font size of the Digital Clock." />

Elements.xml
<font id="font.clock" facename="Ariel" size="%Digital_Clock_fontsize%" />

Digital Clock.xml
<time x1="10" y2="10" align="TOP-LEFT" element="font.clock" color="%Digital_Clock_color%" effect="BORDER" format="%Format%" timezone="%Timezone%" DST="1"/>

The font size does not change, and I now get an error that says "ERROR: Illegal use of binary operator at pos 0 in expression "%Digital_Clock_fontsize"

I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Could somebody please explain?

Thanks much

Glenn
Mirage
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Do you see ?
Variable %Digital_Clock_fontsize% is used in elements.xml, rather than used in Digital_Clock.xml, so you don't need specify the window="", just like this:

skin.xml
<variable name="Digital_Clock_fontsize" default="60" description="Set the font size of the Digital Clock." />
anoob
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Location: TaiChung, Taiwan, R.O.C. Birthday: 02/12
I couldn't speak English! This skin released to Customize.org(Do you want it? Click Picture) Please contact me if interested: jhg5702@gmail.com

Right, I understand that part. But leaving the window= off will make it a global variable which is what I'm trying to avoid. So following that logic, I should be able to change Digital Clock.xml to look like this:

Digital Clock.xml
<time x1="10" y2="10" align="TOP-LEFT" facename="Ariel" Size="%Digital_Clock_fontsize" color="%Digital_Clock_color%" effect="BORDER" format="%Format%" timezone="%Timezone%" DST="1"/>

correct? Let me give that a shot and see what happens.

But your input and comment anoob, are always welcome. This is all just a learning experience for me. And a lot of fun.

Thanks
Mirage
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Right now, if you wish to change font size, you must set a global variable to do it.

Note: is "%Digital_Clock_fontsize%", not "%Digital_Clock_fontsize" (lost '%')
anoob
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Location: TaiChung, Taiwan, R.O.C. Birthday: 02/12
Last Edit: 2012/04/15 13:21 By anoob.
I couldn't speak English! This skin released to Customize.org(Do you want it? Click Picture) Please contact me if interested: jhg5702@gmail.com

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop