Error 403 from Google Calendar? Upgrade to the new Google Calendar support. See here for details. close
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Categories with Google Tasks
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Categories with Google Tasks
Categories with Google Tasks 2 Years, 5 Months ago  
Hi, I was a long time user of Rainlendar Lite and today I bought the pro version to keep the calendars on my multiple computers in sync via Google Calendar. Everything is working great, except that To Do items seem to lose their categories (the icon disappears) if made on the calendar that syncs with my Google calendar task list. Is there no way to preserve the categories - Rainlendar's bold and clear to read visual styling is the reason why I have stuck with it all these years over Google Calendar's flatness.

What if you (Kimmo) program it so that a tag for the category is placed in the description of the task when syncing with Google Tasks and then parsed back into the category in Rainlendar.

Thanks,
Vir7ue
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Categories with Google Tasks 2 Years, 5 Months ago  
Welcome to the forum, Vir7ue.

If I understand you, the categories from Google Calendar and Rainlendar are not getting alone?
At least 4 months ago, Kimmo (aka Rainy) said that it was impossible to assign categories to Google tasks list (www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=42&func=view&catid=3&id=16557#16614)
The other way, is to try using the option "visual category" for each calendar (www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=42&func=view&catid=3&id=17093#17249)
Jorge_Luis
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male My Rainlendar Skins Location: Argentina Birthday: 03/15
Last Edit: 2012/06/14 21:56 By Jorge_Luis.

Thanks for the response. I had a feeling that Google Tasks don't support categories, but I am suggesting that as a temporary solution the category can be placed into a tag in the notes section of the Google Task. Eg curly braces {} indicate a category tag like {Business} and Rainlendar would reinterpret this into actual categories in the client side.
Vir7ue
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

The notes field is used to store the metadata in Remember The Milk so it probably would work with Google Tasks too. I don't like this kind of solutions though so I'm hoping that Google will implement this enhancement for their Tasks API: code.google.com/a/google.com/p/apps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=2562
Rainy
graph

The status of that api issue reads "accepted"... so I guess we'll just have to wait patiently for it bear fruit.
Vir7ue
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop