Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Odd problem with iCloud
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Odd problem with iCloud
Odd problem with iCloud 1 Year, 7 Months ago  
I am having an odd problem trying to sync my iCloud calendars with Rainlendar on Windows 7.

Here is what happens: I go to options, calendars to add a new CalDAV calendar. I insert my iCloud server name (in my case, p05-caldav.icloud.com), user name and password. After a few seconds, Rainlendar asks me which calendar I would like to add. Since the calendar names are all correct, this is working perfectly.

The new calendar duly appears in Rainlendar, but no events or tasks are downloaded. However, if I add something new, this appears in the relevant Rainlendar window (events or tasks). A check on iCloud.com shows that whatever was added in Rainlendar was uploaded to iCloud practically instantaneously. However, and this is what I find extremely odd, when Rainlendar refreshes, anything added disappears...but remains present in iCloud.

It would appear that Rainlendar can upload to iCloud, but not download from it; which makes no sense at all. I have tried searching the forums, but there is no mention of anything like this (in fact, there is very little mention of iCloud at all). However, since Rainlendar states that it syncs with iCloud, I must be doing something wrong; though I can't imagine what. Any help would, obviously, be much appreciated!
Alexxx
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Odd problem with iCloud 1 Year, 7 Months ago  
I just saw Rainy's response in another thread ("Rainlendar with DAViCal"), where he states that "with CalDAV, Rainlendar is able to write events to the server but it cannot read them so it's not very useable". That explains my problem.

However, the Rainlendar manual clearly states that Rainlendar is compatible with iCloud through CalDAV. How can that be if it can't write events/tasks from a CalDAV server?
Alexxx
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

The problem with the iCloud was fixed before the 2.11 was released. Make sure that you are using the latest version of Rainlendar. If you have the latest release and still get the error please run Rainlendar in the debug mode and send the full debug log to Rainlendar's support email (add a link to this thread) and I'll check why it doesn't work with you.
Rainy
graph

Thank you for your answer, Rainy.

I'm currently using Rainlendar 211 b127 on Windows 7 (32 bit). I spent yesterday playing around with Rainlendar and iCloud and found that the problem is slightly more complicated than I thought. It goes like this:

I have configured my iCloud Rainlendar task calendar to refresh every 15 minutes (this was basically for testing purposes) and keep an off-line version as well. When I add a new item through Rainlendar, the new item is immediately uploaded to iCloud and shows in Rainlendar. However, when I refresh manually, it disappears (remaining in iCloud, however). Leaving everything as is, nothing appears when the calendar is polled every 15 minutes. Surprise, surprise, though; after a length of time that seems to very between 2 and 3 hours, the iCloud items appear in Rainlendar.

I then shut down Rainlendar and restarted it. On the restart, the iCloud items are shown for ten-to-fifteen seconds or so, presumably because they are in the off-line calendar. However, when Rainlendar polls iCloud, the items disappear and the offline calendar is cleared. If one has the patience to wait, they do reappear after two-to-three hours.

Is this a known and/or reproducible error? In any case, I'll send me log file to support@rainlendar.net. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Alexxx
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop