Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Rainlendar2 reads0 vevents from a Default.ics
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Rainlendar2 reads0 vevents from a Default.ics
Rainlendar2 reads0 vevents from a Default.ics 1 Year, 7 Months ago  
In Updating Rainlendar2 to Rainlendar2 Pro I have corrupted my Calendar data file Default.ics.

I have renamed that file to Default_3.ics and started a new file Default.ics, by putting the events for the last January and February into it (using the Rainlendar on desktop), and everything works fine as usual.

However, the old file contains various data from 2006 to now! I like to look at the well-arranged data e.g., of birthdays, ore theatre events, by using the corresponding topic in the administration file. Therefore I tried to recover it, but without success.

Running Rainlendar in the Debug mode, with the new Debug.ics, a file holiday.ics and the old Default_3.ics, the log file tells me that he read from Default: 20 Vevents... from Holidays: 60 events... and from Default_3: 0 events.

To learn about the file structure I have put a now event into Default_3.ics, again from Desktop. I found that the first five lines of the old file were put at the end, and the data of the new event were written next, before closing with END:VEVENT / END:VCALENDAR. The result is that the file now shows only this 1 event.
This did not help me. I could not find any detailed description about the calendar-files and particular what the the UID:{...} contains.

Can you help me with a hint what may be wrong? Perhaps only with a link to an introduction to the calendar data file structure?

win7 64bit, Rainlendar2 pro 64bit, skin Savannah
lsch1111
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Rainlendar2 reads0 vevents from a Default.ics 1 Year, 7 Months ago  
Welcome to the forum, lsch1111.

If you already found the user folder, check in the Backup folder for a previous copy of the default.ics file. Check for the older backup and then go forward to the newer.
The ICS file uses the iCalendar standard. You can see it here: tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545
The UID is a random code used to distinguish between events. If 2 or more events or tasks have the same UID, only the last read will remain. The other will not be showed.
Jorge_Luis
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male My Rainlendar Skins Location: Argentina Birthday: 03/15
Last Edit: 2013/02/17 16:23 By Jorge_Luis.

Re:Rainlendar2 reads0 vevents from a Default.ics 1 Year, 7 Months ago  
Thanks for your immediate reply. The possibility with the backup unfortunately is not applicable for me, since I have stored my old Default.ics, but stupidly not the backups before cleaning the computer from the old version and installing Rainlendar2 pro.

I found the simple way to look at the file by using Steven N. Severinghaus' ICalendar Validator. It could not be checked, because it starts with a triplet of characters in front of BEGIN, instead directly with BEGIN.

Using OpenOffice I could now also see this triplet of characters and kill them. Now my long file was checked ok and all my data are displayed again in Rainlendar.

For my manipulations to get the file working I have used from the beginning the editor invoked from the Windows Explorer. Probably by saving the file the 3 characters at the beginning of the file are added. They are not shown in the editor, however.

My problem is now solved.
lsch1111
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Rainlendar2 reads0 vevents from a Default.ics 1 Year, 7 Months ago  
Rainlendar2 uses UTF-8 encoding. Many text editor app (Notepad included) uses an UTF-8 encoding with BOM (Byte Order Mark, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark). Notepad++ is a good alternative.
Jorge_Luis
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male My Rainlendar Skins Location: Argentina Birthday: 03/15
Last Edit: 2013/02/18 15:43 By Jorge_Luis.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop