Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Snooze sync across multiple PCs
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Snooze sync across multiple PCs
Snooze sync across multiple PCs 1 Year, 5 Months ago  
Hi
Firstly, I'm very impressed with the effort that has gone into rainlendar. It seems to achieve the magic combination of being very configurable yet very easy to use.

I'm considering switching over from "lightning". I chose lightning because it supports true syncing of snoozes, but I am moving away because I find it hangs too frequently and causes thunderbird to crash on occasion.

I have been considering how to try to get rainlendar remembering snoozes across multiples PCs, as a minimum in my home (I have an study PC and a netbook) but preferably in my remote office too.

For home syncing, I have mapped a network driver to a samba share on both machines and will rely, with a rainlendar startup delay configured, on alarms.ini being picked up from there.

Are there any known problems with this approach?

If it works at home, then for work syncing, I will either open up the samba share externally, or use dropbox to sync whenever it detects that a my study PC is hibernating (just before I travel into work). And vice versa when I leave the office.
rivergo1d
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Snooze sync across multiple PCs 1 Year, 5 Months ago  
On some systems using the network drive causes slowdown e.g. when events are modified but if you haven't noticed any problems it probably is not an issue. Running two instances of Rainlendar at the same time so that they share the same settings is not recommended but if only one is active at a time it should be ok.
Rainy
graph

Re:Snooze sync across multiple PCs 1 Year, 5 Months ago  
Sadly it doesn't seem to work - fishes out all the common settings, but fails with a google authentication failure.

Presumably the encryption of my password is such that it can only be decrypted on the PC it was set up from?
rivergo1d
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Yes, by default the passwords are encoded for the account credentials but if you enable the Options->Advanced->"Use custom password encrypting" Rainlendar will encrypt them in such way that the settings can be transferred. You need to enter your passwords again after changing the setting.
Rainy
graph

You really have thought of everything, haven't you? Amazing complete and empathetic software, in tune with users' needs.
rivergo1d
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop