Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Long Pauses in Ubuntu 12.04
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Long Pauses in Ubuntu 12.04
Long Pauses in Ubuntu 12.04 1 Year, 5 Months ago  
Hello All,

Is there any other Ubuntu users out there that are also experiencing long pauses when using Rainlendar?

At first I didn't think anything of it but the other month when I tried it out on a Windows XP laptop of mine, I could not believe how much faster the response time was, from loading time to mouse click response.

Am I the only one experiencing this or is there others?
goodolandy
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Running Ubuntu 11.10

Re: Long Pauses in Ubuntu 12.04 1 Year, 5 Months ago  
Did you use the same settings on both computers? Large windows like month and weekview are quite slow to draw so that can affect the performance. You should also remove all the windows from the active skin which you are not using since they cause slowdown also even if they are hidden.
Rainy
graph

Yes, both are using the same settings. I have the calendar on both slightly larger than the default size but even at default size, the loading of Rainlendar and it's drop menus are very slow.

I am going to try a re-install just incase there might be some file corruption...if I can figure out how to uninstall it since it isn't listed inside of Ubuntu Software Centre. Plus the software centre not believing the current installed version is actually older than the latest release.

Don't suppose you have a repository for Rainlendar that I can add to software centre to make updating easier?
goodolandy
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Running Ubuntu 11.10

Alrighty,

Using Synaptic Package Manager, I did a complete removal of Rainlendar and made sure the hidden .rainlendar2 folder was gone.

I then installed the latest version and using a stop watch app on my phone, I timed the loading. From the moment I launched the program (from terminal by the way) to when it was completely loaded, the time was 4 minutes. It took 3 minutes for the calendar to appear then another minute to go from being greyed out to being usable.

I was hoping to see something in the Terminal that might explain the slow loading but nothing appeared. If there is a command I can run that might help track down the slow loading, please feel free to let me know.
goodolandy
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Running Ubuntu 11.10

Try running Rainlendar in the debug mode (rainlendar2 --debug). The timestamps in the debug log might give some idea where the time is spent on the startup.

I tried the startup on the Ubuntu 12.04 (32bit) virtual machine and with the default settings the startup was finished and the calendar usable after 1 second.
Rainy
graph

Re: Long Pauses in Ubuntu 12.04 1 Year, 4 Months ago  
As far as I cansee, if we feed Rainlendar with more then certain number of events/ToDo-s, it starts to take your lifetime and eat it...
No matter what I do, I have to avoid to click OK in any ToDo window.
If I click OK, I need to be prepared to go take a shower os something like that...
...it's a really cool software but this is a HUGE issue that should be considered, don't you agree?
marcelo.betel
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop