Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Backup disaster. I lost everything!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Backup disaster. I lost everything!
Backup disaster. I lost everything! 1 Year, 3 Months ago  
So I have lost all my appointments fron here to eternity. Great.

I was using Google Calendar leaving a permanent copy and synchronizing with my phone. Then my laptop (Win 8 x64) got problems and I had to send it to fix. But I first made two backups on two different days.

So I came to this older laptop (Win 7 x86) and tried to restore the backups. None worked. I then unzipped them to try with the .ics file but to my surprise it wasn't there on any of the two backups. Only the Reinlendar.ini and the alarms file plus the license file.

Importing the ini files from any of the two backups didn't work either.

On my phone, everything is gone too. Totally gone all my appointments.

Great.

Can you help? I never thought this could happen after so many years of perfect use of Rainlendar.
Dan3
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Backup disaster. I lost everything! 1 Year, 3 Months ago  
If you use Google Calendar the events are not stored on your computer but kept in Google's server. So, even if your computer breaks the events are not lost. Rainlendar's backups contain only the locally stored events because the events in 3rd party calendars can contain extra information which is not read so restoring the data would not be possible.

Have you checked from the Google's web calendar if your events are still there? If they are, you can just connect Rainlendar again to your Google calendar.
Rainy
graph

I know! It should be in my Google Calender but everything is gone. And what is even more strange is that none of two backups from two different days contain any events.

It's weird, isn't it? It's surely my fault, something I did wrong and I don't remember, but I have made backups and restores by hundreds of times and never had this. I am using Rainlendar for ages and still is the best tool for me and a must have.

Any idea? I guess it's all lost without repair.

Thanks
Dan3
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

I can't really say what could cause this. Even if you use the offline copy in Rainlendar the events are never deleted from the server if they are missing from the cached copy. You need to be online and explicitly delete the event before it is actually removed from the original location.

There are instructions in Google's website how to restore some information for the deleted events. The instructions are for Google Apps but you can try them with the normal Google Calendar too.
Rainy
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop