Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Events and todo's lost on reboot
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Events and todo's lost on reboot
Events and todo's lost on reboot 7 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
After spending hours moving all my todo's and some events into rainlendar, I just lost them all. I had a system lockup and hard to do a hard reboot of my laptop. When it came back up, all of my data in rainlendar was gone. I looked in the filesystem and the Default.ics file had a current date/time but a size of 0 bytes. I went into the backup folder and unzipped the last good backup and copied the default.ics file back into the .rainlendar2 directory. That put everything back to the time of the lsast good backup (last night's regular shutdown); but that meant that I lost all of the events and tasks I had added or edited today. I was quite crestfallen.

It appears that the crash/reboot with rainlendar open somehow wiped out or wrote 0 bytes to my ics file. Have you ever seen similar behaviour before?

So one question: Is there a way to change the automatic backup within rainlendar to back up my ics file more often, say like every 30 minutes? Or do I need to use an operating system utility to copy the file to a safe location periodically?

Thanks in advance

ps: Here are the only "unusual" lines in the log file at the time of the restart:

15:10:02: Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
15:10:02: Error: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
15:10:02: [0:00:00.429] WARNING: Unable to open the libgnome-keyring.so
SchlagerKing
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Events and todo's lost on reboot 7 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
You might lose your events if you cut your computer's power while Rainlendar is updating its events file. It's not likely to happen though since the events file is written only when you add or edit the data on it.

The automatic backups are fixed to be done daily but you could create a script which runs the backups more frequently. It might be easier though to use some 3rd partly backup tool to make a copy of the Rainlendar's data folder.

The 'unusual' lines in the log just mean that you don't have the Gnome keyring installed so the passwords cannot be stored to it. In this case Rainlendar will use its custom password encryption method.
Rainy
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop