Error 403 from Google Calendar? Upgrade to the new Google Calendar support. See here for details. close
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

alarms override everything else
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: alarms override everything else
Re: alarms override everything else 10 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
I wonder if this is somehow specific to your system. Do you have any 3rd party applications installed which affect the windows? I don't think I've received any other reports related to this so it doesn't seem to happen with many users. I still do most of the development in WinXP so this should not be related to the operating system either.
Rainy
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

For the last few weeks, every time I logged into Windows, as the startup programs loaded a message popped up that I had previously only saw when I was using Internet Explorer: "Do you want to allow software such as ActiveXcontrols and plug-ins to run?" (an IE setting I had deliberately chosen).

Since I hadn't run Internet Explorer (and only use it when a site demands it), I had been clicking No.

LAST NIGHT I finally made the necessary connections: I only started getting that message after installing 2.11 136, and it popped up at about the moment during startup that Rainlendar opened.

Then I remembered that I'd clicked Yes a few times last week and that also a few times last week alarms were grabbing focus.

This morning, I clicked Yes instead of No. A test alarm is sitting quietly on my screen. That seems to be a fix.

Does this surprise you? Is it useful for you?

Ideally, you can make the popup message go away. If not or until then, the workaround is good enough.
MBroom
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user

I have to take back part of the preceding message. It WAS true when I wrote it, but then Rainlendar reverted to the previous behavior. In the meantime, I did nothing that I wasn't doing all morning (looking at Web pages in Firefox, sending email messages).

I then closed Rainlendar and restarted it, and now (as earlier this morning) an alarm is up but NOT taking focus.

By the way, that stray "Do you want to allow..." message only appears on Windows startup. It does NOT reappear if I close Rainlendar and then re-start it.

So maybe the workaround is to close and re-open Rainlendar? I'll let you know.
MBroom
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Did you use the installer which is on this website? Rainlendar has nothing to do with ActiveX controls or browser plugins so the prompt is not related to it. Do not download Rainlendar from any 3rd party site since event the "well respected" download sites are nowadays bundling adware with their custom installers. If you get suspicious messages at the startup I suggest that you do a virus and malware scan on your computer.
Rainy
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

I did download the new version from your site. This morning's scan with Kaspersky PURE found no threats.
Helpful to know the ActiveX popup was coincidental, though I still wonder what it might connect to with Internet Explorer not running.
MBroom
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

I usually have Firefox (3.6.28, because my AV program doesn't work well with later versions) minimized when not in use. However -- latest discovery -- if I close Firefox, Rainlendar alarms don't keep the focus. If I open Firefox again, the alarms again take back the focus.

Does that tell you anything useful?
MBroom
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop