Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Google Backup & Sync + Rainlendar Folder = CORRUPT
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Google Backup & Sync + Rainlendar Folder = CORRUPT
Google Backup & Sync + Rainlendar Folder = CORRUPT 2 Months ago  
Hey folks,
I've been using Googles new Backup and Sync software where you can select folders on the computer to keep backed up to your Google Drive. I had the Rainlendar folder selected and it seemed to be frequently replacing and deleting the backup files it would create. I didn't pay too much attention to it, but I believe they were deleted by Rainlendar from Windows, then as Google Backup and Sync realised they were deleted, they'd also be deleted from Google Drive.

Anyway, it seemed ok, however a few times when I would restart the computer, it would tell me that the settings file is missing and if I want to use the latest backup, when I'd click yes, it would restore it to the way it was. This morning however, on clicking yes, my rainlendar is not how it was at all and looks like there's none of my personal data or settings (window positions, calendars etc) on it at all.

Now I'm not sure if this is a rainlendar issue or a Backup and Sync issue, there's a good chance it's a Backup and Sync issue with however it manages the files, but it's clearly a problem if this is the result. I had also selected the AppData folder to backup with Backup & Sync, but it wouldn't allow me to back it up, then I selected AppData/Roaming and it was able to select it ok, but isn't actually syncing the folders its meant to (issue described in full here: productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/drive/3e3dsFJWuUY/6CCvMBWIBAAJ) so I think Backup And Sync definitely has a few teething problems!!

If there's any clues from the Rainlendar side however, I'm all ears

Any feedback would be great!
cormie
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Google Backup & Sync + Rainlendar Folder = CORRUPT 2 Months ago  
There is nothing that changes in Rainlendar's installation folder (under Program Files) but the files in Rainlendar's settings folder (www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_easyfaq&Itemid=26#faq1) do change e.g. when you move the windows, dismiss alarm or change the settings.

The way Rainlendar updates the settings file is that it first creates a temporary file and stores the settings there. Then it will delete the original file and renames the temporary file. One possibility could be that the renaming fails for some reason (maybe it's being backed up at the same moment). You could check if there are any extra temporary files in the data folder (they probably contain some random text and *.TMP or *.BAK extension).
Rainy
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

Re:Google Backup & Sync + Rainlendar Folder = CORRUPT 2 Months ago  
Thanks for the feedback. I tried "restore" through the rainlendar manager, a backup file from about a week ago before it happened and it's now back to normal for me. I don't really ever change settings in rainlendar and only use it with Google Calendar and Google's Task list, so all the actual entries are always backed up and restored direct from Google, it's just the settings like window positions, layout etc and then the actual calendar sync data that get lost so once I have these back then it just syncs the actual entries no problem it seems.

Is there any way to avoid this happening in future? It seems to have been happening quite a lot that it would ask me to restore the settings from a backup so it must be a problem with how Google Backup and Sync deals with the files?
cormie
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop