Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

network calender sync problem (w ftp)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: network calender sync problem (w ftp)
network calender sync problem (w ftp) 7 Years, 3 Months ago  
hi there, my first post

i'm not very good in english, so please ask if you don't get what i try to tell

ok...
first my given situation:
i have a desktop pc and a laptop (plus a third desktop pc). up to now i ran standalone .ics calendars on both machines. but now i wanted to test the network calendar function to sync the data between both calendars.

alright... so i decided to set up a google calendar. but the problem is - i don't have 24h a day connection to the internet, so i had to miss the calendar in this time.
then i thought up another way. i installed a ftp-server on the third machine.
i set up the calendars on my pc and the laptop and syncronised with the ftp.
and it workt fine!
but then i started to test one other thing:
i shut down the ftp, deleted serveral appointments on my laptop (i could delete them, because i'm running a local copy, thought). then i restarted the ftp.. and clicked on refresh...

and the deleted appointments showed up again .
so that was the end for this solution. i want to delete, set up, or whatever on my local copy, and then it should be syncronished with the one on the ftp...
any ideas on this? have i done something wrong?
or has anyone a good idea how i can sync the both calendars (including offline editing)?

sry for my bad english, hope you get what i tried to explain

hoping for a fast answer(, and thx for this great program, btw ),
zomb
zomb
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:network calender sync problem (w ftp) 7 Years, 3 Months ago  
Hi zomb!

My situation is similar to yours. I own a private laptop and a business laptop. To synchronize between both machines I use a network shared calendar. The *.ics file is stored in the GMX-MediaCenter which supports the webdav protocol. That works very nice. But I made bad experiences with the offline copy of a calendar. So I disabled the offline function and add events always with an existing internet connection. Before I enter a new event I refresh the calendar to make sure that I have the latest version on my pc.

Thommy<br><br>Post edited by: thommy, at: 2007/06/19 05:02
thommy
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
ICQ#: 293612134 Gender: Male thomas050780 thomrohd Birthday: 07/05

Hey thx for the reply!!!
Good to see that other users also would like to have a better &quot;offline copy of the network calender&quot; supportt:)

but i think i'll try your idea with gmx! never thought of it.. it's definately way better than my personal ftp .

but it would be great if the offline copy wasn't just there as a copy - wouldn't it be better, if i chance something in my offline copy, that it could be added to the normal .ics file? but i bet that's a definition of sync...

any more suggestions? i bet there are a lot of ppl out there with the same problem!
zomb
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

In my experience the offline copy works very fine. Also with synchronisation. But it seems that sometimes problems occurs if you also want to synchronise with a second (or more) computer. Then there are probably too many different versions of the same calendar, i. e. the server stored calendar, the local offline copy, the copy on the second computer etc. Then the synchronisation doesn't work as well and you overwrite your current state.

Thommy
thommy
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

my experience is (omg, i hope you can follow me , its difficult for me to translate my thoughts in english ^^ ) that when you use network calender, the host on which the calendar is stored is the one almighty .ics.
hhmmm let me think...
ok, you have 2 computers and a third one, which stores the main .ics. the 2 computers have offline copy active. when you delete or add appointments in the offline copy of one computer, then refresh the calender when you have connection to the 'main' .ics file, the host sees: &quot;alright, im the boss, your computer has a different .ics file. here, take mine!&quot;

aawwwww, i don't know if one can understand me, lol.

sadly this sync doesn't work for me the way i needed it .
but now i try setting up my calendars with gmx . that was a great idea! thx again, i'll let you know how it works for me
zomb
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Hihi! Which language do you prefer? I prefer german.

The biggest problem is, imagine you have to computers (A and and a third (server). A fetches the latest version from the server. Then you go offline and edit the offline copy. After that you switch your computer off (knocking-off time) . Then you go home and switch you private computer B on. You make any changes, add events etc. Then you synchronise with the server - recognize the server has not the latest version! Then you have different versions. The latest are on B and server. But on A is an old version with new entries. How do want to prevent it? How should the server and B know that A has a newer version which is already not uploaded.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Thommy
thommy
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop