Error 403 from Google Calendar? Upgrade to the new Google Calendar support. See here for details. close
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Rainlendar Listening on Port 9999 (Linux)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Rainlendar Listening on Port 9999 (Linux)
Rainlendar Listening on Port 9999 (Linux) 7 Years, 6 Months ago  
Hello!

After trying Rainlendar 2.1, I discovered that it binds to 0.0.0.0:9999. I did not see any network related options, nor have any Network-related that come with the Rainlendar Pro version. Is this intended behavior, or is it just my system that results this peculiar outcome?

netstat:
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:9999 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 27793/rainlendar2

strace:
bind(8, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(9999), sin_addr=inet_addr("0.0.0.0")}, 16) = 0

PS. Rainlendar 2.0 seems to *not* bind to any addresses.<br><br>Post edited by: aoeu, at: 2007/06/19 13:52
aoeu
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Rainlendar Listening on Port 9999 (Linux) 7 Years, 6 Months ago  
That is used for inter-process communication (e.g. when importing files and running lua scripts from command line). However it definitely shouldn't be listening to all connections. I don't know what I was thinking. I'll fix that for the next version.
Rainy
graph

Well, local binding is better, of course , but be sure to quadruple-check the code, because GNU/Linux is a multiuser environment, and I feel there are better ways for IPC with built-in border-control.
aoeu
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Perhaps but since I don't have much experience in Linux programming I have to use whatever the framework (wxWidgets) provides.
Rainy
graph

There are named pipes that work quite perfectly for such intercom, and support regular permissions. For something so simple as a script trying to communicate to its host, using networking creates an enormous hole -- starting with your little accident with listening on 0.0.0.0 to finishing with exploits due to invalid parsing. And that goes to the Windows counterpart as well.

PS. ~/.config/ is already hidden -- useless and weird to make a hidden config folder inside a hidden folder meant for configuration data.
aoeu
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

The problem is actually only in Linux version; Windows version uses DDE.

The .rainlendar2 folder can be located in the user's home folder too if the .config doesn't exist which is the reason why it is also a hidden folder.
Rainy
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop