Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Rainlendar Listening on Port 9999 (Linux)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Rainlendar Listening on Port 9999 (Linux)
Re:Rainlendar Listening on Port 9999 (Linux) 7 Years, 4 Months ago  
If so, then go with named pipes and problem solved

The config folder thing is of course off-topic, but you should consider reviewing your setup -- Windows' version, the last time I checked, also made a .rainlendar2 in the User folder, which probably is OK for Vista, but under XP appdata should go into %APPDATA% which usually resides in "User\Application Data". A simple thing to fix. Also the dot is ugly for Windows.
The Linux thing is also easy to fix, but means a lot, because regular Unix/Linux users don't expect to find hidden folders inside a hidden folder -- the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard also states that. Just do a check of ~/.rainlendar2 and ~/.config/rainlendar2.
Read a bit on standard usage on both OSes, because the hybrid of both looks tacky.
aoeu
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I do know where the applications should store their settings. The reason why things are implemented in Rainlendar the way they are is that the source code is easier to maintain if I don't create exceptions for all different platforms unless I really have to.
Rainy
graph

Not that it's any longer related to this topic, but solving this would just be a simple
#ifdef LINUX
#ifdef WINDOWS
in which you fill an array that is fed to a loop that checks each of them in order, and loads the first one found. This can't be much different from the way you do it now.

Unfortunately you'll have to do exceptions pretty soon, because the Linux version doesn't run good (with Metacity at least) -- constantly flickering and not redrawing the main window after switching the workstation, so it'll have images of the window that was above it in the previous workstation. I don't exactly know whose fault this is, because I'm no GUI programmer
aoeu
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop