Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Vista/Seven - Crashes in standard accounts
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Vista/Seven - Crashes in standard accounts
Vista/Seven - Crashes in standard accounts 4 Years, 9 Months ago  
Hi,

I am using different computers, with Windows XP, Vista and Windows Seven.
On all computers, I set up one user accopunt wirh administrative rights, and one with standard rights (for daily work).
On XP, Rainlendar works without problems for both accounts.
On Vista and Seven, it does not work in the standard accounts.
I already tried to give full access permission to the "Programs" folder, but it did not help.
Right after installing, it did work for one single logon cycle. After rebooting the machines, it did not work on both machines.

Is there any workaround to use Rainlendar in standard accounts for Windows Vista and Windows Seven ?

kind regards,

Christian
Carrera124
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Vista/Seven - Crashes in standard accounts 4 Years, 9 Months ago  
I'm not able to reproduce this. I created a standard account for Windows 7 and Rainlendar started just fine on it. Can you send me (rainy@iki.fi) the Rainlendar's debug log for the crash (and any other information you find about the crash ...I'm not really sure though where Windows 7 stores the crash info).
Rainy
graph

Re:Vista/Seven - Crashes in standard accounts 4 Years, 9 Months ago  
Hello Rainy,

at the moment, I don't have access to the Windows 7 computer. But I can reproduce the problem on my Vista machine, too. But it does not happen right after installing, it takes some reboot cycles. And I actived the feature "auto start with windows startup". How can I add the "--debug" statement in combination with the autostart feature ?

kind regards,

Christian
Carrera124
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Vista/Seven - Crashes in standard accounts 4 Years, 9 Months ago  
Are you able to reproduce this only on the reboot? So if you start the application manually it never crashes? If it crashes only on the boot the Rainlendar's log probably won't be very useful. Does the Vista's "Problem Reports and Solutions" contain anything about the crash?
Rainy
graph

Re:Vista/Seven - Crashes in standard accounts 3 Years, 6 Months ago  
Sorry for the very, very long time I needed to reply.

The problem still exists, but now I am able to give more details:

First of all, the type of user account doesn't care.

After installation, I changed the properties of the ".rainlendar2" Folder and all subfolders in my user home directory ("C:\Users\Christian\.rainlendar2") to "invisible".
Because I just don't want to see it at that location.

As long as the folder is invisible, Rainlendar crashes at startup: the tray icon is shown, but not the desktop application. Moving the mouse pointer over the tray icon, makes it disappear.

Switching the folder ".rainlendar2" back to visible, makes everything work fine again.

So, my question is: is it possible to make Rainlendar running even if the user account folders are switched to invisible ?
Or better, move the folder to the following location:
C:\Users\<account>\AppData\Local\
(where other applications like Opera, Firefox, Thunderbird, iTunes etc. store their user specific data)

I also could send two logfiles, one for each case visible/invisible. Their contents are slightly different, burt the logged error messages seem to be identical in both cases.

kind regards, Christian
Carrera124
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Vista/Seven - Crashes in standard accounts 3 Years, 6 Months ago  
The crash happens if a backup file that is marked as hidden is overwritten on startup. I'll fix that in the next version. Leaving the backup files visible should be an easy workaround until that.
Rainy
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop