Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Display of same events in different calendars
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Display of same events in different calendars
Display of same events in different calendars 4 Years ago  
Hey all,

I've just started using Rainlendar Pro because of the possibility to sync with my new handset via Google Cal. I am using a system with different calendars for different parts of my life (e.g. one for university, one for family events and so on).
The bug or problem I face is the following: if there is one event which I decided to save in more than one (local!) calendar it only appears in the events-list once showing all the icons of the different display types of the calendars, but that doesn't seem to be possible with an online calendar in some way. If I add a new event to let's say 'Default', 'Family' and 'Google', I find that the first two are shown together in the events-list as one entry as I like it, and they can easily be changed in one turn, but the Google event needs to be edited extra. I use Google for synchronization only, that's why I just need to see Google events which differ from my local ones.
With my old handset, I just used a local "exchange calendar" where all event were saved a second time. These events weren't on display in the events list, except for changes I made on my handset calendar. At the moment, I need to disable my Google sync-calendar in order to not have two entrys for each event in my list, which is pretty annoying, because you always need to activate it in order to create a new entry and you can't edit all events at once.
Is there some way to handle my online calendar like a multiple local ones or is there something I have missed to notice?

Cheers
raven
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Display of same events in different calendars 4 Years ago  
The event's identifier changes when it is synced with Google which is the reason it duplicates. If you create the event first to the Google calendar, wait until it is synchronized and then add it to your local calendars you should get only one event. It's not a very good workaround but the only one if you want to be able to edit the event too after it has been created.
Rainy
graph

I'm afraid but this workaround doesn't seem to apply with my setup. If I follow your steps, I can indeed create an entry in Google, wait for sync, edit this entry and add it to another calendar, but then the entry is deleted again in all calendars but the Google one, i.e. if you re-open the event, it says that its only saved in my Google calendar. When disabling this calendar the event vanishes into thin air instead of being on display in one of my other calendars I selected beforehand
raven
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

In the meantime I found a new workaround. It's possible to save an existing google event to a local calendar only (unchecking the google calendar in the calendar list when selecting the local calendar as target). Now you can re-open the event, add google as target once again et voila: only one event on display with both the local and the remote calendar icons. Not very handy but it's at least working in some way. I'll be delighted if someone comes up with a better idea
raven
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

It's me again... I'm afraid it doesn't work out the way I expected it to. It only seemed to work yesterday because there was some malconnection with Google sycn. That's why all entries were only made to my local version of Google cal and were on proper display. But since Google came up with some kind of fix I have not managed to proceed following my description from the last post. It then posts the following error:

"Google Error!
Unable to upload the event.
Server returned result: (0) 404 Not Found.
No events found"

404 in this case doesn't seem to mean "no connection" as I may create a new rainlendar envent in my Google cal which then is also visible in Google's frontend as well as on my synchronised phone. It just doesn't recreate the entry after deleting it from Google cal. Help...
raven
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

The 404 means that the item cannot be found from the server which in this case is expected since removing the Google calendar from the event basically means that you are deleting it from the server. After that updating the event back to Google will result to file not found error since the server doesn't know about it anymore.
Rainy
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop