Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Extra birthday
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Extra birthday
Extra birthday 7 Years, 7 Months ago  
Using ical files, delighted to find Rainlendar. In fact, dumped Sunbird entirely.

Strangely, my aunt's birthday turned with small icon in calendar both on birthday and following day. Could not change this by editing birthday in Rainlendar. A manual edit of the ical file, showed that a vTimezone item had been inserted in the file (probably by Sunbird03). My aunt's birthday was the only vEvent after the timezone. Deleting the vTimezone item solved the problem.

Not a big issue - will not edit birthday file with any other app after this - but a general concern. Moving between timezones a couple of years back, messed up all my birthdays (and lots of appointments). Which is when I gave up on Outlook and syncing (psion and Yahoo! at the time) altogether.
okh
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
okhoff
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Extra birthday 7 Years, 7 Months ago  
Problem: Birthday set to 19400325 appears on both 25th and 26th March 2007. ICS file and screenshot enclosed (slightly modified Shadow4 skin). Same file in Sunbird, appears only on 25th March in 2007.

Realised that 25th March 2007 coincides with Daylight Saving. Which may just be the cause (although I cannot remember setting DST anywhere).

Annoying - but certainly not serious - bug.

ok

File Attachment:
File Name: xx0325_problem_rainl.zip
File Size: 6993
okh
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
okhoff

Yes, it's caused by DST. Rainlendar assumes that an all day event is always 24 hours long but the first day in DST has only 23 hours so the event is shown on two days.

I did some changes which should fix the problem. I just hope I didn't break something else...
Rainy
graph

You've been busy . Dangerous stuff, I agree. Especially when you move between time-zones and use different apps that record ICAL items differently. After the unfortunate experience where Outlook shifted all my birthdays (moving between UK and Lux), I always make sure that all birthdays are recorded in CDAY (have for ages actually).

Maybe one day you would want to Rainlendar to read the CDAY files (cday.sourceforge.net/) - display a pane on historical evens at startup? People love it when you remember their kids birthdays - although it is not the kind of stuff you want to clutter your day to day calendar (Rainlendar, that is).

ok<br><br>Post edited by: okh, at: 2006/12/17 08:29
okh
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
okhoff

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop