Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Can't modify skins, changes become undone somehow
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Can't modify skins, changes become undone somehow
Can't modify skins, changes become undone somehow 3 Years, 10 Months ago  
Hey people out there

Got a license finally and started to modify the Chromophore Skin for my needs. Which means I changed the width of some windows and the icons of some categories. That's all.
I actually am familiar with programming a little bit, doing some webdesign etc.
So I guess I do not make any mistakes in the way I delete important parts of the code. I simply changed the .png-files and the number of pixels. Should work so far, right?

This is how I do it (I use Win7 x64 btw.) and open the *.xml-data with PSPad Editor:
First I shut Rainlendar 2.7 x64 down. Then I change the ending from .r2skin into .rar, unpack it, make the changes and pack it back to a .rar-file, finally changing the ending back to .r2skin again.

The point is, when I made the changes and start Rainlendar I cannot choose the skin, it's simply not in the list. Anyway, it's in the folder.

I also tried to install the skin by double-clicking. Which makes this error message appear (actually in german, so I translated it):
"Could not install the skin.
The skin does not contain any "skin.xml" file. Are you shure it is the XML-type Rainlendar need/uses?"

Do you have any idea what's wrong?

A month ago or so I did some changes to, using Rainlendar 2.5 or so. I did the changes this way: I unpackes the skin and chose it for Rainlendar. Which means, I chose the unpacked data. Then, while Railendar was running I did my changes and to check if it looks good I always refreshed after changing a single parameter. It worked.
Few days later, everything was running fine so far, I decided making some more changes and when I opened the .xml files I was suprised they were all in their original code. All my changes have disappeared. The crazy thing was, that the skin had still all my changes. I can't explain it.

Is Rainlendar doing any backups and overwriting changes or so? Can you see any wrong steps? Do you have ever heard of the bugs before?

I would be very thankful for any help since I'm pretty curious making any changes, and maybe a complete skin on my own sometime.

Greetings,
Markus
Mac
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2010/11/11 18:24 By Mac.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Can't modify skins, changes become undone somehow 3 Years, 10 Months ago  
Then I change the ending from .r2skin into .rar, unpack it, make the changes and pack it back to a .rar-file, finally changing the ending back to .r2skin again.The point is, when I made the changes and start Rainlendar I cannot choose the skin, it's simply not in the list. Anyway, it's in the folder.
despite the fact that you unpack it changing the extension to .rar the .r2skin is in fact a .zip file. Rainlendar2 works with zlib (zip library) so... try unpacking and repacking it as zip file.

The skin does not contain any "skin.xml" file. Are you sure it is the XML-type Rainlendar need/uses?"
Are you sure that the skin.xml file in on the archive's root? (first try the above)

If none of this works, look for rainlendar2.log in the user folder. Then looks for errors loading you Chromophore skin.

A month ago or so I did some changes to, using Rainlendar 2.5 or so. I did the changes this way: I unpackes the skin and chose it for Rainlendar. Which means, I chose the unpacked data. Then, while Railendar was running I did my changes and to check if it looks good I always refreshed after changing a single parameter. It worked.
Few days later, everything was running fine so far, I decided making some more changes and when I opened the .xml files I was suprised they were all in their original code. All my changes have disappeared. The crazy thing was, that the skin had still all my changes. I can't explain it.

My guess... Did you have two skins, one in the app folder and one in the user folder?

Is Rainlendar doing any backups and overwriting changes or so? Can you see any wrong steps? Do you have ever heard of the bugs before?
Look in the user folder for backup folder. www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_easyfaq&Itemid=26#faq1
Jorge_Luis
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male My Rainlendar Skins Location: Argentina Birthday: 03/15

Re:Can't modify skins, changes become undone somehow 3 Years, 10 Months ago  
Hey Jorge_Luis, thank you for the hints.

I tried the first one, converting the .r2skin into .zip and back again. It worked perfectly without any errors.

Thank you!

Greeting, Markus
Mac
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop