Error 403 from Google Calendar? Upgrade to the new Google Calendar support. See here for details. close
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Rainlendar will occasionally overwrite my calendar
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Rainlendar will occasionally overwrite my calendar
Re:Rainlendar will occasionally overwrite my calen 7 Years, 9 Months ago  
So anyway, Rainlendar can't update the remote calendar but can download it.

If I manual refresh, it'll overwrite the local copy.

When Rainlendar tries to update remote calendar this occurs:
[quote]Network Error!
Error uploading the data ot the url:
www.blah.com/cal.ics

Server returned result: 405 Method Not Allowed.
AncientPC
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Rainlendar will occasionally overwrite my calen 7 Years, 9 Months ago  
You need to have the webdav enabled or the web server does not accept the uploads.

You can send the error logs to me (rainy@iki.fi).
Rainy
graph

Re:Rainlendar will occasionally overwrite my calen 7 Years, 8 Months ago  
I think I figured out what has been causing the problem.

When setting up my network calendar I set poll frequency was done in minutes and set the value to 1.

I check and find that the size of my online calendar is constantly incrementing to full size before starting over. I then realized it was most likely caused by my laptop endlessly uploading the calendar to the remote location because Rainlendar was actually refreshing every 1 second.

With everyday usage, I often lose network connectivity or shutoff or put my laptop into hibernate / standoff. It's possible that if any of these actions are done while Rainlendar is uploading it can corrupt the remote file.

If I manually exit Rainlendar, do you know if the program will check that the remote file is finished uploading before exiting?

If so, my solution would need to be to manually exit Rainlendar before every network disconnect, hibernate, or shutdown which would be troublesome.

More interestingly, let's assume that the remote calendar was corrupted through a partial upload. However the local calendar is still intact and when I force refresh the calendar, it will overwrite my local calendar. I'm assuming it's because synchronization priorities:
1) time stamp
2) file size

Since the remote calendar has a newer time stamp, it will overwrite the local calendar. Is that correct?

Is it possible to add a force local -> remote update?
AncientPC
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Good guesses but I have to clarify few things. Rainlendar uploads the file to the server only if it has been changed. So, even if the polling rate would be 1 sec, Rainlendar would just download the file and never upload it. However if this really happens like you explained I would like to see the debug log since it definitely shouldn't behave like that.

I'm not sure what happens if you cut the connection while the file is being uploaded. I'll have to check that. But closing Rainlendar manually will wait until the uploading is finished before the process ends.

The synchronization doesn't actually check the timestamp or the size of the ics-file. It will check the last modified date in each event separately and add/remove the events depending on the last successful synchronization time and the modified dates in the offline file. The result is the same though if the online file is corrupted since Rainlendar thinks that the user has removed the events on purpose.

Adding a command to copy the offline file to the server is a bit tricky because as soon as the connection is up again Rainlendar will download the online file and sync it with the offline file. So, you usually wouldn't have time to activate the feature.

One way to solve the problem might be if Rainlendar would ask what to do if it notices that there are a lot of events missing from the online file. There are few technical problems with the implementation though which is the reason I haven't done it that way yet.
Rainy
graph

*double post*<br><br>Post edited by: AncientPC, at: 2007/03/28 16:56
AncientPC
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

I fixed the problem by changing poll frequency to 60, but to see if I could recreate it I changed poll frequency back to 1.

I check the file size by viewing the file listing through a browser and hitting refresh. The calender was constantly being uploaded but despite changing the poll frequency back it's not anymore. Once I get a corrupted calendar / have it infinitely upload I'll send you the debug logs.
AncientPC
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop