Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

WinUpdate KB3145739 - Tasks/Events Drawn on Top
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123456789
TOPIC: WinUpdate KB3145739 - Tasks/Events Drawn on Top
WinUpdate KB3145739 - Tasks/Events Drawn on Top 1 Year, 7 Months ago  
The "ToDo" list, as well as YahooWeather, are drawn on top of all other windows when Rainlendar initiates a refresh.

This bug is easily reproducible by forcing a refresh from the tray-icon while in a browser (or any other program).

I am using Windows 7. This started occurring after a recent windows update. I use the Shadow4 skin, but have verified it is not skin-related by also checking the Savannha ToDo list. My video drivers are up to date. My desktop is running in Aero.

Yahoo Weather is also drawn on top of other windows. Oddly, the Calendar and the Events windows are drawn on the bottom, where they are supposed to be.

This occurs using both the latest official release and the latest beta release. Very frustrating. I will have to turn my ToDo list off for now, as clicking around to try to dismiss it every 15 minutes is a real hassle.

An image of the bug (portions blurred to protect the innocent)

mwstepney@hotmail.com
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2016/05/15 17:18 By mwstepney@hotmail.com.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:"ToDo" list drawn on top of all windows - refresh 1 Year, 7 Months ago  
The "Sidebar" window also exhibits the same behavior. Position (On Desktop, On Bottom) has no impact on this bug, and it's reproducible every time single time with a manual refresh.
mwstepney@hotmail.com
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Refresh recreates the windows and currently that is what brings them to the top. I'm not sure why only the todo-window remains on top and not the others. Anyway, I can check if something could be done about this.

By the way, why are you refreshing the calendar every 15 minutes?
Rainy
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

Because I can, and your great software allows it? I like to see changes I plug into Google Calendar on my phone reflected with relative immediacy on my desktop. What polling frequency do you recommend, and what is the issue with a 15 minute frequency (besides this new re-drawing bug, which would bother me no matter the frequency)?

To push the ToDo list (or YahooWeather, or the Sidebar) back to a bottom layer, it is not as simple as clicking another window to bring that window to the foreground. Clicking inside the browser, for example, has no effect. The ToDo list remains drawn on top until another window is *moved* around the screen. For example, I must un-maximize firefox and then re-maximize it, or I must click the "Show Desktop" shortcut and flatten everything down before these misfit windows will go back to being drawn in their home on the Desktop Layer. The ToDo list is drawn on the Top Z layer and slowly works its way down as you click windows, unless you force all to minimize with the 'show desktop' shortcut.

As I said, this redrawing behavior wasn't seen until very recently. It would have driven me mad, so of this I'm certain. Before the past week all windows have updated in the background, stuck to the desktop background where they should remain. For now I have the ToDo list turned off.

These are the Windows Updates that were installed before the redraw bug started happening:

Non-Security Windows Updates
KB303583
KB295664
KB3133977
KB3137061
KB3138901
KB3146963
KB3147071
KB3148851

Security Updates:
KB3149090
KB3148198
KB3142042
KB3145739
KB3146706
KB3146963

.Net Framework Updates
KB3143693

No other changes (video drivers, etc) were made to my system.

Thanks for looking into it. If you like, I will systematically remove these updates in order to determine which caused the bug.
mwstepney@hotmail.com
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2016/04/24 19:24 By mwstepney@hotmail.com.

Update:
I uninstalled all non-security Windows Updates individually, rebooting after each one. This did not solve the problem. All other updates are from 2016-03-10, this bug definitely showed up after that date.

*Fixed*
I uninstalled the remaining security updates and the .Net update in one go. The re-drawing bug is no longer present. This bug is related to one of the listed security updates or the .Net update installed after 2016-03-10 (my computer has long uptimes and updates are installed en mass, so pinning a date is difficult).

My machine isn't the fastest rebooter. I'll continue slogging through this, though.

I will now reinstall all of the updates and begin individually uninstalling the security and .Net update to pin down which one is responsible.

I am running Windows 7 64, by the way.
mwstepney@hotmail.com
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2016/04/24 18:27 By mwstepney@hotmail.com.

Mission accomplished.

Windows Security Update KB3145739 causes this bug.
"MS16-039: Description of the security update for Windows Graphics Component: April 12, 2016"

I would post a link to the relevant Microsoft Support document, but this forum does not allow external linking.

I will now reinstall all Windows Updates and uninstall KB3145739 in isolation to confirm my findings.

What a way to spend a Sunday afternoon. God, Windows Update is as slow as molasses.
mwstepney@hotmail.com
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2016/04/24 19:27 By mwstepney@hotmail.com.

Go to topPage: 123456789
get the latest posts directly to your desktop