Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Papers add-on (show title of a random PDF)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Papers add-on (show title of a random PDF)
Papers add-on (show title of a random PDF) 2 Years, 7 Months ago  
Hi! I don't know whether this is a common thing, but personally I accumulate tons of papers (PDF) to read. I had to choose between putting them in a folder and forgetting them; or leaving them on the desktop, which is messy.

Not anymore! This add-on chooses a random PDF from a folder, parses it to look for the title, and shows it.

You can click the title to open the document. Clicking the header ("Paper of the day", which is customizable) will choose another random document.

I made it into a stand-alone skin to make it easy to install (the attachment is in the post below). It's not meant to be used as a full skin: instead you just go to the Advanced skin settings and select the new Papers window, in addition to the skin you already use.

I did not include the utility that extracts text from PDFs. However, it's part of XPDF, which you can download here: www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html

The only file you really need from there is called pdftotext.exe.

You can then choose the appropriate folders (where you keep your PDFs, and where pdftotext.exe is located) in the skin settings.

Cheers!
Jotaf
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2011/12/05 12:52 By Jotaf.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Papers add-on (show title of a random PDF) 2 Years, 7 Months ago  
Here's the skin file, just install it normally. Screwed up the file... download below (again! ).
Jotaf
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/12/06 12:42 By Jotaf.

Re:Papers add-on (show title of a random PDF) 2 Years, 7 Months ago  
Here it is.
File Attachment:
File Name: Papers-7a782fa63fdeace0b2fa235d0c74e64a.zip
File Size: 38752
Jotaf
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Papers add-on (show title of a random PDF) 1 Year, 1 Month ago  
hi ,I m not sure what you're going to talk about.
Do you mean you have multiple pdf pages to deal with? If yes, I think you can find some freeware which has the capabilty of batch processing.
After quick searching on Google,you can try pdf documents processing toolkit if you do not have a better choice now.there are also some pdf add-on for desktop applications,like Adobe Reader.
xmlld
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Papers add-on (show title of a random PDF) 10 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
xmlld wrote:
hi ,I m not sure what you're going to talk about.
Do you mean you have multiple pdf pages to deal with? If yes, I think you can find some freeware which has the capabilty of batch processing.
After quick searching on Google,you can try pdf documents processing toolkit if you do not have a better choice now.there are also some pdf add-on for desktop applications,like Adobe Reader.

thanks for sharing, that's awesome but somewhat overpriced for me who will just use it only once, do you have some cheaper or even free versions, any suggestion will be appreciated!
jacaboo
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop