Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Rainlendar 2.2 build 49
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Rainlendar 2.2 build 49
Re:Rainlendar 2.2 build 49 6 Years, 11 Months ago  
Hi all and thanks Rainy, this seems to be a very nice update for Linux users. I still have some glitches, I will try to explain them (sorry I'm not into Linux Desktop programming nor a X guru, hope the information will still be usefull).

I'm on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 Bit) Gnome Desktop with full Compiz support enabled. If anyone need more specific infos (Advanced Desktop Effek Settings, Compiz Plugins, etc.), just ask. All in all it's a plain Ubuntu 7.10 installation with Compiz set to full. My Rainlendar settings are "On Desktop" and Transparency set to "Native" and I'm using the german translation (well, don't know if this matters). I installed through doubleclicking the .deb file. Don't know if it's important, but I'm using my own skin (problems seems to be the same when using one of the standard skins).

On a sidenote though: I had to unzip the contents of the '.r2lang' file and copy them to '/usr/share/rainlendar2/locale/' manually, if I drop them on rainlendar I get the message but they weren't copied. Maybe that's becaus I'm using the .deb for the first time (before i installed to ~/.bin/rainlendar2).

While using previouse versions, I used Devilspie[1] along with them, to keep the windows on the desktop. I stopped using Devilspie to minimize possible problem sources and this version seems to to what I want without the help of Devilspie anyway.

So, my problem is that i still keep losing my windows. From time to time the Rainlendar windows (calendar, even- and todolist) just disappear, while rainlendar is still running fine. I don't know exactly what triggers this, but one thing is, that everytime i click on the "Show Desktop" the windows are gone.

Most of the time I can "fix" this by simply clicking "Show Desktop" again and minimizing all other windows per hand. Still somewhat anoying.

My estimation is, that problem is caused by the way Gnome (or Metacity or Compiz) handles the window stack and or the window type (_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP), or that Rainlendar doesn't meet their expactations.

Anyway, as said, i don't know much about this stuff and just speculating here. Another programm i use - Conky [2] - works, means it display itself on the desktop and stays there all the time, not flinching when I hit "Show desktop", etc. So it's possible.

Other programms have problems with this behaviour too, here are two quotes from a discussion on the Ubuntu forums [3]:

"i use (wintype "utility") because it's the most compatible setting: also tried as "desktop" but if the geometry is not maximize and you click anywhere outside the terminal, it will disapear.
the drawback os using "utility" is that the "show desktop" will hide/unhide the terminal.
"

"when I hit "show desktop" button it is minimized, and so I have to hit it again to have the terminal maximized back again! so if I want to get to the desktop I have to minimize each window alone! well .. for me I'm just too lazy to do that every time I want to use the command line! any solution?"

Some more information:

Stacking order
- standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#id2451274
- standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#STACKINGORDER

"The window manager may choose to put some windows in different stacking positions, for example to allow the user to bring currently a active window to the top and return it back when the window looses focus."

Maybe this is part of the problem?

Window type
- standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#id2511241
- standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#id2511177
- standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#id2512386

"_NET_WM_STATE_BELOW" could also be interesting.

Sorry for this long post, but I realy hope you can fix this.

[1]www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie
[2]conky.sourceforge.net/
[3]ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202249&highlight=terminal+desktop
brutus
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

After I downloaded this version, my Internet Security / Antivirus (NOD32) flagged the download (Rainlendar-2.2.b49.zip) as a threat

"Probably unkonwn NewHeur_PE virus"

The fact that it says "probably" could mean that this is a false positive by NOD, (using its advanced heuristics etc to detect unknown/new viruses), however I'd just like someone to confirm / look into this.

(see attached screenshot below)

[img size=499][/img]
TeBBuTT
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2007/11/10 04:41 By TeBBuTT.

This "problem" was discussed about 13 times (see results for Search "NOD32"). Here is Rainy's verdict: #4569.
Alexander
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

I forgot to add that I have indeed scoured the forums with this problem and DID indeed find the 13 odd posts "discussing" this problem

Now: Its all very well having being discussed before, but no-one as far as I can see has come up with an intelligent solution/workaround, thus being of any meaningful help. All the posts simply tell me: "its a false-positive by NOD", etc etc and nothing much further.

Furthermore, (no) I don't want to turn off my advanced heuristics feature of NOD, and (yes) I have submitted the file to NOD so that they "apparently" can determine that it is a false positive. Even if I add it to the NOD "exclusion" list, as one of the 13 odd posts suggests, NOD still moans about running a threat on startup...

My question is therefore this: Could I please receive a meaningful solution/reply? (eg) Is it possible to package it with something other than UPX if this is the identified problem? v2.2 b47 didn't have this problem with NOD, what was that release packaged with for example?
TeBBuTT
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

I have still the same problem too.

When I select "On Desktop" option an click in Gnome in the show desktop, Rainlendar just disapears.

Also with Compiz, the scale option does not show Rainlendar, neighter the Applications switcher shows it.
Götz
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Birthday: 02/03
What I hear, I forget. What I say, I remember. What I do, I understand. -Laozi/Confucius

TeBBuTT, if some random antivirus gives false positives there is very little I can do about it. I could stop using UPX but since the problem is in NOD it really should be fixed in there.
Rainy
graph

Go to topPage: 1234
get the latest posts directly to your desktop