Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Purge/hide expired events by time
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Purge/hide expired events by time
Purge/hide expired events by time 4 Years, 5 Months ago  
I use Rainlendar to keep track of my lectures at school. Today I had lectures from 11:15 to 12:00, and from 12:15 to 14:00.

An ability that Rainlendar is missing, is the ability to hide the events after they are done - i.e., that when the clock gets 12:01, the 11:15-12:00-lecture would not be shown. And now, at 15:15, nothing would be shown for today, as all events for today were done.

LassoSlask
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Purge/hide expired events by time 4 Years, 5 Months ago  
I'd like to have it too
Flyboys
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Purge/hide expired events by time 4 Years, 5 Months ago  
Me to!
Hegi
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Computers are man's attempt at designing a cat: It does whatever it wants, whenever it wants, and rarely ever at the right time.

Re:Purge expired events -- AND adjust reminder 4 Years, 4 Months ago  
I'm only a starter user, quite a happy one. But what seems to me an obvious miss is that each event and to-do record should be extended for two options:
(1)
whether the user wants the record to be purged (immediately / in xxx minutes/hours/days) after the expiration;
(2)
whether the user wants to be reminded of the expired record.

These are two different options and the user should be given an offer to tick on/off any of the two in the recording dialog.
* You may want NOT to be reminded if you switch your comp on after the event (or to-do slot in real world), and you may still want to keep the record for a few days for reference.
* Or, you do not care of any reference archeology and want you record file(s) to be purged from anything outdated immediately - but, with a specific to-do or event, it may make a good sense to pop out the remainder EVEN IF you switch you comp on, say, a day later. Which means this particular record is to be purged only (that day, obviously) after you respond to the expired reminder.

Let me suggest the implicit values:
Purge the record immediately.
Do not remind me after expiration.

An implicit behaviour might even be possible to set for all the records at once and later overcome as need be.

The implementations should be simple:
Extend the record for two more items.
Extend the input form for two more fields.
Implement two more checks in the expiration processing.

The current functionality does not seem to me fortunate, in fact quite annoying. It appears to go contrary to what I suggested as implicit setting above.
Please consider the improvement.
°jh
°jh
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

I can see that purging passed events might be useful in certain situations but I'm not sure if it would actually be something that majority of the users need or would use. The event editor is already too crowded so I don't like to add any new controls to it without a really good reason.

If you want to get notifications for expired events you can just add an alarm to the event and if you want to get rid it immediately you can right click it on the alarm window and choose delete.
Rainy
graph

I'm surprized majority loves event archaeology so much. What do they do with the old records? A more serious trouble, however, is the expired records keep appearing and clutter the display. Surely you need to see what is TODAY and ONLY today in store for you. Failing to make its presentation clear is an annoying feature of Rainlendar.

Let me mention that bulk erase may not be a good idea as you may inadvertently erase an initial record for a series event.

I even thought of a junkyard calendar (not displayed) to move outdated records there. A really awkward solution to work around what should work straightforwardly.

Anyway, thanks for the alarm tip. I'll try to make it a habit.
°jh
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop