Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Event 'sets'
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Event 'sets'
Event 'sets' 4 Years, 2 Months ago  
For years I've had an idea that I think would benefit calendaring software and it's what I call event 'sets'. At the moment, you create a new event, fill in the details and that's it. But, there are a number of occasions where I find one occasion requires several separate but related events.

Example 1: When I add someone's birthday into my calendar, I want more than one event. First I add the all day Birthday event for the particular date itself. But, I also want an event 2 weeks before it to remind me to buy a present and card. I also want a reminder a day or two before to remind me to post the card and present.

Example 2: For a job interview I want the event of the interview on a particular date and time but another one the day before prompting me to prepare for it (fill the car up with petrol, programme the sat-nav, print off relevant documents etc). I might also want one a couple of weeks later to remind me to follow up if I haven't heard from them.

Example 3: Your holiday starts on a particular date and you want several events leading up to it (and possibly following it too). For example, stop the papers being delivered, borrow a friends camera, arrange someone to house sit, pack, order a taxi to the airport etc. After you get back you may want other related events to do such things as re-start the paper delivery, return your friends camera and so on.

Obviously, this effect is do-able now but requires a fair bit of extra work setting up these related events each time. I foresee the user making a 'template' set of events and To-Do's (an 'Interview' set for example) with a main event and the other items set to appear a certain period of time before or after it. They'd also be linked so if the main event moves date or time, the 'child' events automatically move accordingly.

What do you think?
andygrunt
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Event 'sets' 4 Years, 2 Months ago  
One possibility to do something like this could be to add support for multiple alarms (which actually is already in my backlog). You could e.g. associate a custom text for each alarm and make them optionally visible in the calendar too. The iCalendar standard supports multiple alarms so it wouldn't require any custom properties which would keeps things compatible with other calendar applications.
Rainy
graph

Re: Event 'sets' 4 Years, 2 Months ago  
Sounds great to me

I guess I assumed it needed an event for each alarm so I could add notes to them but I suppose it's arguably better to put all notes in the main/master event to keep them altogether and stop them getting lost.
andygrunt
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop