Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Continuous calendar ("compact calendar")
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12345
TOPIC: Continuous calendar ("compact calendar")
Continuous calendar ("compact calendar") 3 Years, 5 Months ago  
Hi,

first of all: thank you, Rainy, for this great program!

I've tried to search for this, but haven't found anything:
Is there a way to display a calendar that is continuous, e.g. there is no break between the months? I know you can show the previous and following days in the normal calendar, but these are just filling up the week grid.

What I would like to have would be similar to the "compact calendar" (examples here: davidseah.com/compact-calendar/ ).

Right now, I use 4 regular calendars in a vertical layout, set to show the months -1 0 +1 +2. Every calendar has its own window and shows the month and the weekdays on top, and the year on bottom (Shadow 4 skin). This uses more space than necessary, and the breaks between the months make it harder than necessary to visualize a longer time span.

I tried overlapping the calendars, but the month, weekday, and year can't be turned off and make the result a mess.
I might try and modify the skin to have calendars without these bits. Would that be possible?

But ideally, I'd like a single calendar that gives me the option to show -x weeks to +y weeks from current date, and have the names of the months to the left of the first day of the month (or the first monday). The months might have alternating backgrounds (e.g. 100% and 80% transparency).
This seems to be to much to ask from a skin, I guess. It would probably need a new kind of calendar. Or am I mistaken?

Any thoughts are welcome!
joes
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Continuous calendar ("compact calendar") 3 Years, 5 Months ago  
You are in the right way. Yes, the skin can be modified to show the month on the left side.
Showing delta weeks from today? i'm thinking this isn't possible...
Months with alternating backgrounds: if you have the last week of one month and the first on the next one, the background will be blended, is that correct?

Something more like the example you give could be done...
Jorge_Luis
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male My Rainlendar Skins Location: Argentina Birthday: 03/15

This isn't exactly what you want, but its kind of.

As i wrote in deviantART, a brief summary would be:
This addon for Rainlendar has 2 windows:
* A year calendar
* A three months calendar

The month name is at the same line of the 1st. day of the month.
There's no space between days.

Here's the link:
jorgeluis-jorgeluis.deviantart.com/art/Compact-Calendar-1-0-197199850

Jorge_Luis
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/02/12 20:39 By Jorge_Luis.

You can also experiment with the "preshowcount" and "postshowcount" which will increase the number of weeks shown from the previous and next months.
Rainy
graph

Rainy... you are brilliant. Of course, you are the guy who made Rainlendar.
I thought that showpreexdays and showpostexdays only showed the days in the first and last week to complete the grid. i was wrong.

I've redone the Lua script to show the month name in the same line as the 1st day of month. I needed to calculate where is that day, so, i find its location by the week number. But i have some trouble with this one, because i only make it work on weeks starting on Sunday and Monday (using %W (Mon) and %U (Sun) format codes). This would be good enough on most countries in Europe and America, but not too good on Middle East.

At this moment, i'm thinking how and which name months show if there are differents pre and post weeks...

Despite this comment, the previous skin was a good start
Jorge_Luis
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/02/13 12:22 By Jorge_Luis.

Re:Continuous calendar ("compact calendar") 3 Years, 5 Months ago  
Wow, you are fast! Thanks, Jorge Luis and Rainy!

Jorge, I tried the addon and it works fine! I tried to add a fourth month to the triple compact xml, but it is not showing. Are the 3 months somehow wired into the lua script, too?

Rainy, I found the pre- and postshowcount variables. Very cool feature! Could it be accessed with the setup dialogs, too? I guess not too many people want to mess with the xmls...
I tried preshow with 4 weeks and postshow with 8 and 12 -- nice
Now I only need to find a way to add the months names to the left of the calendar... have to try and understand what Jorge did in his addon.

Thanks, both of you!

PS:
Jorge, your DoubleSized Shadow is great, too!
(OT) Why does the Shadow skin use bitmap fonts? Could it be done with a vector typeface?
joes
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12345
get the latest posts directly to your desktop