Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Read-only calendars
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Read-only calendars
Read-only calendars 7 Years, 7 Months ago  
I noticed the below exchange about two people accessing the same calendar. I take the chance, but only add items to my colleague's calendar when I know he is away. Accidentally I suppose I could enter an item in his calendar at the same time he did (forgetting to set the right calendar).

However, if a calendar could be set to Read-Only in the Calendar dialogue, it would be no problem me seeing my colleague's calendar, or our communal birthday/holiday calendar. (Yes, I can do it with access rights in the OS as well, but then it is trickier to gain access on an ad-hoc basis, when my colleague is away.)

So - not very high pri suggestion: Read only attribute to calendar.

ok

Re:multiple users accessing local ics
2007/01/23 15:23
I don't recommend putting the ics file to a shared folder if there is a chance that multiple clients access it at the same time. The system hasn't been designed to work that way so it is possible that the ics file gets corrupted if it is accessed simultaneously.
okh
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
okhoff
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Read-only calendars 7 Years, 7 Months ago  
this is a very good idea, i've mentioned it before (but never with such a good visual

it will (optionally) prevent mistakes from being made.
alta88
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Defining the calendars read-only and removing them from the event editor's list shouldn't be difficult to implement as the Outlook calendars behave this way already. So, you would be able to open and edit the event but you'd have to save it to some other calendar. Hmmm... I'll have to think about this.
Rainy
graph

i think it would be just like v1: an event is not editable in a read only calendar. if writing is desired, the cal should be explicitly changed to read/write.

other than events, most calendars are rather static: holidays, lunar, even birthday or such - once they're built they're done and infrequently updated.
alta88
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Agreed with alta88 - most calendars are static, and I just hate it when I've entered an appointment in my lunar/holiday calendars (which happens occasionally).

Ah, and yes, the lawyer in me waking up. Read only calendars make sense as an extra prevention against accidentally writing to calendars "owned" by other apps. Well, as a courtesy anyway.

And this is another good reason that the last-used-calendar should appear in the calendar field (as some poster did not like). If that calendar is no longer available, the user will have to choose - just like now.

ok
okh
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
okhoff

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop