Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Export
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Export
Export 7 Years, 7 Months ago  
HI

Is it possible to place buttons on the events manager gui to select future and/or passed events? I need to export all events in the future, but none of the past. Recurrent events should be included (eg. birthdays).
And I want to filter out all events, that could be removed - old (recurrent) events.

Example (date format: YYYY-MM-DD):
Event 1: 2007-02-02 (no recurrency)
Event 2: 2007-02-01 (every day; until 2008-01-01)
Event 3: 2006-12-01 (every week; until 2007-02-01)
Event 4: 2007-10-10 (no recurrency)

Select all future events on 2007-02-27:
Event 2, and Event 4 will be selected
--> i want to delete the selected events or export them

Select all passed events on 2007-02-27:
Event 1, and Event 3 will be selected
--> delete or export
edwpi
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Export 7 Years, 7 Months ago  
Manager will let you sort by date (and recurrence) - then you can select and export. For a lot of reasons, I think it is a good idea to keep birthdays (and public holidays) in separate files that can be disabled from view before you need to sort out your day-to-day events. The weekly recurrences pose a logical problem too, when I shift old items out, I usually want to keep some recurrences both (such as weekly office meetings) in the 'history file' and the current file. Which is why I prefer doing this manually. It requires a bit of concentration, but works for me. Albeit possibly not be quite as elegant as you would wish...

ok
okh
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
okhoff

The recurring events are quite problematic since the separate instances cannot be shown in the list (events which repeat forever would create infinite list).
Rainy
graph

thanks for your answers.

1. How do i sort by multiple criteria in the event manager gui? Did you use a stable sorting algorithm? I ask, because this would make it possible to sort by multiple criteria by sorting several columns with inverse sequence. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorting_algorithm)

2. ok, my intention is to select all entries in the past that have no event in the future (== old, passed events).
Or the other way round, select all entries that have an event in the future (== future events). Even if it started in the past. That means that there is no reason to mark it as out-dated, because it's still active. Eg. a birthday starts long time before, but should not be selected as old event, because it is still important.
It's clear that the recurring events can't be generated for all possible instances, but there is a property (start date + recurrence, or infinite) that could indicate if there is an instance in the future. And iff there is one, it is a future event (and must not be deleted for example)

Perhaps, an alternative to the selection is a filtering feature.
edwpi
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

1. The sorting is done by the framework. I don't know what algorithm it implements.

2. There has been a feature request earlier to have a button in the manager which would hide all the past events. If I decide to implement it, it could be probably used for your purposis also (hide past, select all, show all, invert selection and delete - not exactly a one button solution but easier than deleting the events one by one).
Rainy
graph

Ok, thanks. that's it. It will make life easier.
edwpi
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop