Error 403 from Google Calendar? Upgrade to the new Google Calendar support. See here for details. close
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Periodic Outlook-sync
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Periodic Outlook-sync
Periodic Outlook-sync 7 Years, 6 Months ago  
Hi,

in the first place I'm using Rainlendar Pro to show my Outlook events. But since I'm using Rainlendar Pro I've noticed one problem, which I desperately hope to get solved in the future. When Rainlendar is running - and it's running all the time - the main Outlook-file (outlook.pst) is blocked for further access. I usually make a backup of the outlook.pst every day at 12:00 a.m., but using Rainlendar the backup doesn't work because the file is blocked. I have got the same problem synchronizing Outlook between my desktop and my laptop - this doesn't work either because of the Outlook files being permanently blocked. Maybe you could add an extra option for an Outlook calendar to get synchronized only every x minutes so in the meantime the outlook.pst is unblocked??? This would be a great feature.

Thanks in advance

Eric.
Horn
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Periodic Outlook-sync 7 Years, 6 Months ago  
In the old version there was a possibility to quit the MAPI connection after the events are read from it but the problem with that is that you'd have to manually refresh the calendar to update the Outlook events. Polling wasn't a good option since there is (or at least was) a memory leak in MAPI which caused Rainlendar to use large amount of memory after it has been running a while. Anyway, I can try to take a look at this again to see if there is something that can be done about it.
Rainy
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

Nice to hear that you'll think about it. Anyway the old solution you wrote about (quit the MAPI-connection and manually refresh the calendar) would be satisfying. Maybe this could be an option which is turned off by default and users like me could switch it on if they are pleased with it. To me it would be much easier than the present situation because I have to quit Rainlendar, synchronize my desktop with my laptop and start Rainlendar again.<br><br>Post edited by: Horn, at: 2007/06/16 11:21
Horn
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Does it work if you just disable the Outlook calendar in Rainlendar (i.e. press Ctrl+2 or whatever the keyboard shortcut is for your calendar) before you sync the laptop?
Rainy
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user

I don't think that this could solve the problem. Maybe I should mention that I use Rainlendar solely to show the events that I manage with Outlook and my PDA's.

First of all: While Rainlendar keeps the MAPI-connection, there are two problems. On the one hand you can't read the outlook.pst-file as a file (e.g. copy it to a backup folder), because it is blocked - you can only access the file using another MAPI-connection. On the other hand you can't write to the section of the PST-file which MAPI-connection is opened (e.g. the events section), because only other MAPI-write-accesses are allowed - but there is no way to remotely access Outlook with a MAPI-connection. Both problems make it difficult for me to use Rainlendar the way I wished I could - and the suggestion to disable the Outlook calendar by hand won't solve these problems:

Frist problem: Blocked access to the PST-file
I have installed a planned task to automatically backup the Outlook-PST-file every day at a specific time (12:00 a.m.). It would be senseless to have an automatic backup task if I had to stop the Outlook calendar by hand every time the backup task runs so the backup program (Veritas Backup) can access the PST-file and make a backup copy of the whole file. I have already tried to kill the rainlendar process at a specific time (e.g. 11:55), run the backup (e.g. 12:00) and restart rainlendar after the backup has finished (e.g. 12:05) - I think it is understandable that this is not the kind of solution I would prefer, especially because there were lots of problems, e.g. it took a very long time to kill the process which slowed the computer down; there were even some crashes and blue screens ...

Second problem: Remote access
If I could get Rainlendar running the way I would like, I've planned to buy a second licence for my laptop. If I had Rainlendar installed on both at the moment, it would be hard to synchronize the two of them: I would have to disable Rainlendar's Outlook calendar on both computers by hand, synchronize Outlook and restart Rainlendar's Outlook calender on both computers by hand again. Just imagine all the fuss if I had to do this several times a day. Not to mention that I access my LAN using wireless LAN, so most of the time my laptop isn't in the same room the desktop is in when I synchronize Outlook. To disable the Outlook calendar on the remote computer would be a difficult task - or I would have to change rooms every time I want to synchronize Outlook.

That is the reason why it would be much easier for me if there was an option to quit the MAPI-connection after the program has started - even if this would make it necessary to update Rainlendar's output from time to time by hand.
Horn
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Periodic Outlook-sync 7 Years, 5 Months ago  
Hi,

I just noticed that you added the option &quot;Keep MAPI connection alive&quot;. Thank you very much, now I can set this option to &quot;false&quot; - and backing up my Outlook file works fine!

Eric.
Horn
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop