Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Trying to change a skin's Category colours
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Trying to change a skin's Category colours
Trying to change a skin's Category colours 2 Years, 3 Months ago  
Hello forum! Long-time licensed Rainlendar user, first-time forum user

I use mkl's Rainlendar skin (customize.org/rainlendar/skins/67859) and love it -- but I've been trying to adapt it so that each category is displayed in a different colour (in the calendar and the events list), making it easier to distinguish them; the skin defaults to showing all events as white.

In short: is anyone familiar with this skin / how to define category colours in skins please?

--

I've read a bunch of forum posts, articles found through google, and the FAQs/skinning guide, but have had no luck:

- trying to make changes through Options results in the "skin doesn't support custom categories" message; I don't know how to activate custom categories. This post refers to this issue www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=42&func=view&catid=3&id=14975, but doesn't explain how to remedy it.

- trying to make changes by editing the skin's xml files doesn't seem to have an effect either. I only have a rudimentary understanding of xml, and the changes I've made based on looking at other skins which do use colours, don't seem to have an effect In fact, I started to play around with the font-sizes just to see *any* kind of change, and the skin didn't seem to acknowledge any changes...?

--

I've attached some screenshots of the current skin, and what I'm trying to get to...
Can anyone help steer me in the right direction please?

Thanks!

References I've looked at:

www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=42&func=view&catid=3&id=14234
www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=42&func=view&catid=3&id=1033
www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=42&func=view&catid=9&id=14763
www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?Itemid=26&option=com_easyfaq
www.rainlendar.net/download/SkinTutorial-English.pdf

hellojames
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2012/04/16 13:49 By hellojames.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Trying to change a skin's Category colours 2 Years, 3 Months ago  
Welcome to the forum, hellojames.

If you already saw the xml files then you're a step ahead on the way for the solution.
The post you mention said:
1. So, how can I make the XYZ skin support custom categories? ...
1. You need to add the <template> section under the skin's <categories> section.

Look for the elements.xml file in the Shadow4 skin. At the end of the file you will find, below all the categories, a section called <template>. Copy this section from this file to the elements.xml file of your skin. Then try again changing the categories settings.
Jorge_Luis
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male My Rainlendar Skins Location: Argentina Birthday: 03/15

Huge thanks @Jorge_Luis!

I followed your instructions and can now edit the events categories -- fantastic!

Just one more issue however, you can see in the screenshot below, the only variable I changed was the text colour (to green), but after saving the changes, any calendar day which contains an event from the changed category seems to have lost it's visual styles... any ideas?

I reset the skin and tried again, but the same outcome ?:/

hellojames
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012/04/16 17:23 By hellojames.

Well, I took a look at the skin and I found 2 things:

1) The "black hole" is because one of the settings (Calendar_day_color) set an inexistent element as default. You need to remove that line, but...

2) If you want the numbers on the calendar to change color then... you can't. The numbers are stored as white images. You can't change that, not changing values. You will see the green value on event/task lists and in the tooltip.
Jorge_Luis
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male My Rainlendar Skins Location: Argentina Birthday: 03/15

Huge thanks again @Jorge_Luis -- your first suggestion is great, everything seems to be working fine now

*hi5*
hellojames
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop