You can create separate Events and ToDo window of course. Use code of Shadow4 and Bimon skin as example.
1. Unzip Bimon skin.
2. Create events.x m l file. Add there 2 lines of background code.
3. Make a header bitmap image (printscreen and crop png file of "Events" word using Segoe UI font color RGB 255, 204, 102, background - see x m l background code).
4. Copy there part of event code from calendar.x m l file.
5. Include description of new bitmap element in elements.x m l file.
6. Include events.x m l file name in skin.x m l list.
7. Delete events part of code from calendar.x m l file.
Make same steps for todo.x m l file.
Zip your folders and skin.x m l file to MySkin folder and rename extention to r2skin.
All of you need details about skin modification you can find in Rainlendar Help.