Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Rainlendar in a network or on 3 different computes
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Rainlendar in a network or on 3 different computes
Rainlendar in a network or on 3 different computes 5 Years, 7 Months ago  
Hello,

i am setting up a small office for my company with 3 computers now and in future there should be 5 - 6.

As email clients we use Thunderbird, which as addon a calendar can be installed. I have been comparing a bit to outlook, and outlook comes with calendar functions that look pretty nice where you can share your calendar entries with others on a network etc. But at the moment I am seeking to omit outlook and prefer working with a simple email client, unfortunately its calendar program doesn't work in a network (maybe it does...), and entries cannot be shared (it can be published online...).

So, I was wondering, if this can be achieved with rainlendar. This is my idea, I install rainlendar on each computer, for each user i can input in their todos list the jobs that must be done, and in their calendar important meetings etc.

The workers can edit their calendars when they have finished their jobs. I can check from anywhere in the world and see whats done or not. I have a webhosting package so maybe this can come handy to store some kind of masterfile or files which are accessed from the calendar.

As well from the calendars, the workers can input other stuff on which they are busy with and i can check in and know when they are free etc. to organise a meeting.

Is it possible to do this with rainlendar ? How do i proceed ? Do I need rainlendar to use my network or will a webserver suffice ? Do I need to buy a licence for each computer ?

Your answers will be very helpful. Thanks in advance. Dietmar.
Dietmar
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Rainlendar in a network or on 3 different computes 5 Years, 7 Months ago  
Well, you can set up a webdav share on a webserver and store the calendar file to there with the Rainlendar Pro's network shared calendar plugin. You should note though that Rainlendar doesn't check for possible conflicts so it can overwrite someone else's changes. If that's a problem I suggest to store the events to Google Calendar which can handle the simultaneous editing (or well, at least give an error about it).

Rainlendar's licenses are personal so each person using it needs his or hers own license.
Rainy
graph

Re:Rainlendar in a network or on 3 different compu 5 Years, 7 Months ago  
Would i also be able to create a todo list that can be share ?
What about that webdav thing, is that complicated to install ? I have a big webhosting package with lots of functions, but i have no idea about webdav, would i only need to creat a folder called webdav and upload the rainlendars master file for example and in rainlendar i would input the url where the file is located ? Or does an admin need to make some installations for webdav ? (sorry, i know nothing about webdav.)
Dietmar
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Hello again,

i've contacted my webhoster concerning webdav, they are telling me i need to upgrade and need a virtual server to be able to use webdav, which would mean i would need to pay like EUR 100 more for a server a month. This doesn't make sense, i only want to use a calendar that is accessible by several users and that i can update and all can see the meetings and jobs todo. Is there also another alternative without webdav ? Or some other solutions ?
Dietmar
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

For todo lists at the moment the only other option is to use a ftp server.
Rainy
graph

Hi,

I dont know if this will help you or not, but if all the machines are running windows xp or newer you can mount ftp directories as virtual drives (this may be possible in mac os x too, i just dont know how). Try creating an ftp account on your web server and give it access to a new directory. Give it a username and password that all the people you want to share with have access to.

Read instructions about mounting an FTP folder/account as a virtual drive:
lifehacker.com/software/featured-windows-download/mount-remote-file-systems-with-netdrive-300997.php

I hope this helps.
sirbrent
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop